Walker delivers

I only caught the second half last night.

Walker showed the complete game: posting up and scoring on single coverage,
and passing out of double coverage including some great long diagonal
passes that most PFs are just incapable of. He was just shredding the
Wizards rotations, primarily to Kenny who was hitting the shots. He hit
Johnson for a nice fast break dunk and had a spectacular fast break
almost-assist to Pierce that didn't go down. He scored on a huge tip-in
late in the game too.

A few notes:

1. What opens up these great all-around games by Walker (and he's had
several in the past) is his ability to beat his man one-on-one. The Wizards
were forced to double team because they didn't have anyone who could stop
him and also no shot-blocker to help out if he beat Jones. Late in the
game, they didn't double after getting destroyed with Walker's passing, and
he stepped up by scoring on a great one-on-one spin move.

There's certain guys that he can do this to regularly (Van Horn is probably
at the top of the list) and certain guys he basically can never beat
(Duncan). But when he doesn't have that ability on a given night, he's
won't be able to play this way from the low post. I think that's when he
has to head back outside and yes, jack up some 3's, as painful as that is
to many on the list, which opens up the lob pass to Pierce as well as
getting some points on the board. This team requires Antoine to be a
serious offensive threat to create enough opportunities for everyone else.

2. Two of the major beneficiaries of Walker's passing were a healthy Kenny
Anderson and Joe Johnson, neither of which was available last year. I wrote
earlier that these two guys may be able to take the pressure off Walker.
There were a couple of plays where the ball just whipped around the court
through these guys. Having three guys who can handle the ball and pass like
this really opens up the offense. My hope is that as the year progresses,
we're going to see Anderson and Johnson be able to create more offensive
opportunities for Antoine too, so that if his one-on-one matchup isn't so
good, he'll be a threat without having to toss up so many 3's.

Alex