Team Stats update

Hi list:

During the offseason, the coaching staff stressed perimeter defense and
team rebounding, which were two major weaknesses during the Pitino era.

Many of us doubted whether we had the personnel to achieve any kind of
transformation. But even without any helpf from good summer-league
rebounders like Kedrick and Joe Forte, Boston has done as well as can be
hoped so far against two "first place" teams and three weak opponents.

Here's the breakdown based on NBA.COM stats through the five games.

The Celtics are still maintaining an amazing +4.8 differential in offensive
boards. They have gotten to the line 3 more times per game than opponents.

The Celtics are tenth overall in team rebounding at 44.6 per game, a +2.8
differential in our favor.

Boston is also tenth in the league in steals (8.2), but tied for second in
fewest steals allowed (5.6) and, better still, tied for third in fewest
turnovers per game (12.2). What is this, the 1986 Celtics? They have a +2.6
steals differential and +2.8 turnover differential.

Boston is 9th in the NBA in assists (22.6). Not too shabby for a ball hog
team starting a Jerry Lewis type "idiot" at power forward.

The Celtics are holding opponents to .307 on treys  (23-75), best in the
East. I can hardly believe it after years of the headless chicken outbreak.
THANK-YOU Dick Harter.

At the same time, Boston is shooting a ridiculous 48-107 (.449) from Bird
land. That's fourth in the NBA, although I seriously doubt we can maintain
this pace. For instance, Pierce is shooting .536, Milt .556, Kenny .500 and
Erick .667.

Overall Boston is holding opponents to .447 shooting from the field. I hope
they can keep it around there for the season, although it won't be easy. At
least they aren't down there as usual with the Grizzlies (.482) and Nuggets
(.476). I've got my fingers crossed.

Boston is 10th in points scored at 99.8 per game. We are also 10th in
fewest points allowed at 93.2 per game.

But the next question in everyone's minds is obvious: "Who have we played
so far that doesn't suck?"

Well the positive news is that two teams are in first place (Milwaukee and
the Nets). But of course they both beat on us. Doh! (but still the stats
from those games count, and they were close games). Our other opponents
have defeated 4 teams while losing to 8 non-Celtics opponents. Cleveland is
the worst of the lot at 1-5.

Boston's next opponent, Seattle (2-3), has already beaten both San Antonio
and Orlando. That's a true test for the players and coaching staff. The
Celts have had some success recently against Seattle, for whatever reason.
We'll need A-games from both captains for arguably the first time.

Seattle's 22-year-old Rashard Lewis has been the latest prep-to-pro phenom
to emerge. He's averaging 17.6 points and 10.8 boards. The 6-10 forward
most recently delivered 36 points and 19 boards worth of grade-A,
government inspected whup-ass on McGrady's Magic team this week. I'm not
even sure if this guy was a first round NBA draft choice.

Go you Celtics!

Last night is a perfect illustration of how fun it actually can be to
follow even a .500 NBA team like our Celtics over a full season. Its just
great in every way.