---------------
Strickland in guarded condition
Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Thursday, November 1, 2001

Eric Strickland is in town and ready to take his physical in anticipation of
joining the Celtics.

The 6-foot-3 free agent guard, who was in attendance at the FleetCenter last
night as the C's dropped their home-opener to the New Jersey Nets, should
have his name on a contract today, or tomorrow at the latest.

When Strickland does come aboard, he will be well-received. Celtics
co-captain Paul Pierce is looking forward to getting Strickland in the
rotation.

``I think he'll be a great pickup for us,'' said Pierce prior to the 95-92
loss. ``He's a tough guy. I had a chance to work out with him this summer
because he stayed out in Los Angeles, and I know he's going to bring a lot
of toughness to this ballclub at two positions.

``And he's a veteran, which really helps us a lot. That's something that
we're going to need down the road. We have a young bench, and that's a part
of our team that's really going to be a strength for us down the road. The
rookies are going to get better, and now we'll have another good veteran.''

Strickland opted out of the final year of his contract with the Memphis
Grizzlies.

The bottom line is that he lost some $2 million in the transaction. He made
$2.56 million last season with the Knicks and then-Vancouver Grizzlies, but
will sign with the Celtics for the five-year veteran minimum of $653,350