Re: Joe Johnson

At 00:08 01/11/01 -0800, Michael Joseph Byrnes wrote:
>I saw most of tonight's game.  Joe Johnson will absolutely never be the
>3rd scorer guy who takes heat off of Walker and Pierce unless THEY
>ACTUALLY GIVE HIM THE FREAKING BALL ONCE IN A WHILE!!!!
>
>It is totally stupid to let Toine miss over 20 shots and have nothing
>but scraps in the offense for Joe Johnson.  Even Larry Bird couldn't take
>the heat off of Walker and Pierce, because they would never give him the
>ball.
>
>There is no good excuse for why the Celtics lost tonight.
>
>Michael

Walker's shooting was so bad that I'm not even sure he even faced many
double teams to pass the ball out of to the open shooter. In the papers
today, he basically said the Nets were giving him wide open shots and
daring him to make them. He couldn't get it done. Of the league's go-to
scorers, he's surely one of the most erratic *pure* shooters. I really
doubt he'll ever grow out of that. But I do think he's a lock for up around
6 assists per game from different parts of the floor, and that guys like
Joe Johnson will be the direct beneficiary over time.

Plus its up to Joe Johnson to be a little more aggressive too. You're not
going to be a third scorer (11-15 ppg) on any NBA team just by spotting up.

If the goal is to speed up the learning curve and exploit natural skills,
then Joe Johnson should be used as Antoine's principal backup (not Eric
Williams). That is to say, the offense should run through the rookie point
forward when Toine sits for 10-14 minutes per night. If all you need is a
good downtown spot up shooter who can run the wings, then Kedrick Brown
ought to be just as good at that as Joe Johnson. Toine might learn a thing
or two while catching a breather on the bench, if you let Joe Johnson
showcase his ballhandling and setup skills.

A possible added positive from last night's game is that the rookies
(besides Forte) will decide to be more carpe diem and proactive out there,
rather than be content to stand around watching the captains launch 57
shots in a game. Its a two-way street in this regard. Forte's the only one
who's not afraid to step up. Joe Johnson seems more content with the status
quo distribution of labor.

****