Re: Mock Drafts Comparison Of Celtics Picks - V. 1.0

At 10:18 23/05/01 -0400, Jim Meninno wrote:
>I've been wondering about Zach Randolph, because he's being mentioned as
>being available at 10/11.  What does he play like?  I know he's a load.  Is
>he a Fortson-like rebounder?  Has he got agility for his size, like a Robert
>Traylor?  Does he have a strong low post game?  I agree with those that say
>we need rebounding badly, but I don't think we can afford it at the expense
>of defense, especially shot-blocking.  Not with Vitaly Potapenko as center.
>Take the best player/athlete available and, as someone else said, sort out
>the positions later.  You can always make trades.

         Here's the Boston Herald coverage of Zach Randolph's dominant
McDonald's game. I think there is very little argument that he is still
living off his prep reputation in many ways, like Gerald Wallace. At MSU
there were some questions this year about his defense and about his
Antoine-esque "baby fat". He was benched by Izzo in favor of an
experienced, non-NBA prospect senior (Andre Hutson). I haven't seen much of
Zach Randolph but he does seem very bright and hard working in a Elton
Brand, Danny Fortson kind of way. Although he wasn't one of the Big Ten
leaders in rebounds at 6.7 per game, that's actually not bad considering he
didn't even average 20 minutes of playing time. I guess if his defense and
conditioning improves, maybe he could get enough minutes to be a legitimate
double-double guy. You may have to look elsewhere for shotblocking though.
Anyway here is the article.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sport/high_school/danv03302000.htm
Zach leads attack: Randolph earns MVP with big game inside
by Dan Ventura
Thursday, March 30, 2000
The McDonald's High School All-American Game is a contest that usually
caters to the greyhounds.
The recent MVP list would back up that sentiment. Since 1993, top honors
have gone to the likes of Jerry Stackhouse, Felipe Lopez, Kevin Garnett,
Shaheen Holloway, Kenny Gregory, Ronald Curry and Jonathan Bender.
Last night, it was a powerfully built warrior who carted away the MVP
award. West center Zach Randolph, a 6-foot-9, 270-pounder from Marion,
Ind., poured in 23 points and grabbed 15 rebounds in just 20 minutes as his
side rolled to a 146-120 victory.
``I just wanted to go out and do what I can do,'' said Randolph, who is
headed to Michigan State along with West teammate Marcus Taylor. ``The MVP
award means a lot to me. I feel blessed.
``This was a great week for me. I got a chance to play with a lot of great
players. Everyone just played hard.''
There is no mystery to Randolph's game. He is a coach's dream, a player who
doesn't mind going inside and getting his hands dirty. In an all-star type
of environment, those guys tend to get overlooked.
Not last evening.
``I like to get to the boards,'' said Randolph, who averaged 23 points and
15 rebounds a game (ironically, the same numbers he posted last night). ``I
play hard all the time, it doesn't matter where (the game is).''
Randolph emerged during the week as one of the team leaders. West coach
Rich Sherley remembered when the team visited the Ronald McDonald House in
Providence on Monday.
``Some of the guys were a little nervous, but once they got there, Zach was
one of the first ones to go in there,'' said Sherley. ``He really
interacted well with the kids - he's just an awesome kid.''
Randolph showed off some of his nifty moves in the paint, several at the
expense of the East's 7-6 center, Neil Fingleton. Randolph relished the
challenge of going up against the tallest kid he's ever faced.
``I like playing 7-footers,'' said Randolph, while signing a slew of
autographs. ``For some reason, I always play well against them, I can use
my moves on them.''
Sherley had no doubt that Randolph was going to do his fair share of damage
in the paint. He watched Randolph battle all week in practice with West
teammates Alton Ford and Brian Boddicker and more than hold his own.
``He's a good rebounder,'' said the West coach. ``He's very good in the
post, he's been fun to coach all week.''
Now that Randolph has conquered Boston, the next voyage will take him to
East Lansing, Mich. It's a major challenge, one that Randolph welcomes.
``As you can see right now, Michigan State has a great program,'' said
Randolph, alluding to the Spartans' two straight trips to the Final Four.
``I am looking forward to going there and playing.''