Re: Mock Drafts Comparison Of Celtics Picks - V. 1.0

----- Original Message ----- From: j.hironaka <j.hironaka@unesco.org>

> BTW, I used to harp on this point a lot but now I've lost track. What was
> the eventual result of the Ron Mercer trade? It now looks like we got an
82
> game starter in Bryant Stith (a free agent), the Denver pick, the 21st
> pick, and another current free agent Chris Herren. I guess we also lost
> Cheaney/Popeye, and Gaston pocketed a couple million dollars from Mark
> Cuban. Someone please correct me if I''ve missed something.

You missed Eric Williams and his contract, Joe.  That's the only real
negative of that whole sequence as far as I can see.  The good news is, of
course, that it sounds very likely that one of the 11 and 21 picks will end
up being a player that you'd gladly trade both Mercer and Fortson for, let
alone either one of them.

Personally, I'm glad to have all the posts from everyone surrounding the
draft.  Unlike Joe, Mark and Ray, etc., I have seen virtually nothing of any
of the players in the draft.  Like Mark, I think the Celtics desperately
need to get a player (or two) that are physically dominant for their
position.  Pierce fits that category, when he plays guard, and that's it.
Every other player is either skinny, short or slow for his position.

I've been wondering about Zach Randolph, because he's being mentioned as
being available at 10/11.  What does he play like?  I know he's a load.  Is
he a Fortson-like rebounder?  Has he got agility for his size, like a Robert
Traylor?  Does he have a strong low post game?  I agree with those that say
we need rebounding badly, but I don't think we can afford it at the expense
of defense, especially shot-blocking.  Not with Vitaly Potapenko as center.
Take the best player/athlete available and, as someone else said, sort out
the positions later.  You can always make trades.

Jim