Re: Mock Drafts Comparison Of Celtics Picks - V. 1.0

Interesting! I see BSKBall has the three projected Celtics picks as Joe
Forte, Kenny Satterfield and Trenton Hassel. That's surprising. Also, Jim
Johnson (who's he?) has Jason Collins as the tenth pick. Mama mia. Way sees
the Celtics grabbing Forte at #11 and trading the other two picks. I don't
know if that's what he wants, or that what he still predicts will happen.

Another thing, Jamaal Tinsley and Shane Battier are all over the place on
these mock drafts boards. In general I bet we'll see unprecedented movement
up and down the boards in the coming weeks. There are so many unknown
commodities this year.

I think the influx of early entry and prep players (and the lack of
participation in a draft combine like what the NFL uses) makes it
increasingly facile to make confident pronouncements that a "bad draft
equals drafting NCAA Juniors/Seniors, a good draft equals drafting
youngsters". Actually I think the influx of Kobe/Garnett wannabe kids might
make the NBA draft trend more and more in the direction of the amateur
baseball or hockey drafts, in terms of  greater "hit or miss" risk. I don't
know when this will happen, but you can argue we are heading (apparently
imperceptively) in that direction (geez, I thought Stromile Swift, Jonathan
Bender, DerMarr Johnson etc. were much more "can't miss" than they''ve so
far been).

Once you get a full influx of untested teenagers in every draft, it seems
to me things are bound to get a lot more murky than back when Kobe, Garnett
or McGrady entered the league. In the case of baseball, most GMs have
gotten over this "monkey-see, monkey do" approach. You won't find baseball
people who would pass on a Clemens, Nomar or Varitek just because they
attended college. It is not like basketball doesn't have its share of
recent college graduates who have succeeded admirably in the pros, but this
doesn't come up much.

I don't know when the bubble will burst, or if the NBA draft will ever
approach the "hit or miss" level of the baseball draft (wasn't Mike Piazza
like a 40th round draft pick or something?).

I think those who said "draft any high schooler or Euro teen and you''ve
got a good draft" five years ago should be praised, because they look
brilliant and original in retrospect. But those who also said "buy shares
in Yahoo! and Cisco" back then, or "the Spice Girls will RULE forever",
also would have looked pretty brilliant there for awhile.

In some ways maybe we're approaching the very peak of the bubble, just as
EVERYONE is preaching that drafting a teenager is as sure a thing as making
millions off a dot.com IPO. To whit, this year we'll see not one but likely
several prep players get drafted higher than anyone has ever been
drafted...not Kobe, not Garnett, not Miles. If Felipe Lopez declared as a
high school senior this year, he'd probably go top five! Do you remember
the hype on that kid?

Of course, one can counter-argue that the depth and talent of this year's
prep class has been widely acknowledged since these guys were all high
school sophomores. I think that  was the first time I saw and posted an
article (from TSN, I think) about that class. Thus this year could even
further reinforce the mad rush to draft high school players in the future.

A final point before my morning coffee break ends, it wouldn't surprise me
if our Phoenix first-round pick proves to be the saving grace of the draft,
on the off chance we totally blow it with our #10/11 picks. It wouldn't
surprise me if Arenas, Cisse, Gerald Wallace etc. eventually become solid
NBA starters on playoff teams. I find the apparent depth of this draft very
reassuring.

Joe

BTW, I used to harp on this point a lot but now I've lost track. What was
the eventual result of the Ron Mercer trade? It now looks like we got an 82
game starter in Bryant Stith (a free agent), the Denver pick, the 21st
pick, and another current free agent Chris Herren. I guess we also lost
Cheaney/Popeye, and Gaston pocketed a couple million dollars from Mark
Cuban. Someone please correct me if I''ve missed something.

----