RE: I've Found A Point Guard For The Celtics

> ** Original Subject: RE: I've Found A Point Guard For The Celtics
> ** Original Sender: Hironaka <j.hironaka@unesco.org>
> ** Original Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 03:47:07 -0700

> ** Original Message follows...

> Way Of The Ray wrote:
>
> > - He's the John Stockton of France, and was the leading scorer
> > for the foreign team during the 2000 Nike Hoop Summit.
> >
> > - He should be available at No. 22 or lower.....
> >
> > And is name is Jason Parker, and he's declared for this draft.
>
> Actually I think "Way" is referring to Tony Parker,

Doooooooohhhhh. Right. Never write things when you're tired.

a 19-year-old French
> point guard who played in the 2000 Hoop Summit. There is a Jason Parker
> of the same age who starts for Kentucky, but he did not participate in
> the Hoop Summit and his position is power forward.

Yup, and a very likely NBA 1st round pick.

> Anyway, Tony Parker (6-2, 167 pounds) is actually a starter for my
> hometown "A" League Paris Saint-Germain Racing Club, averaging 14.3 and
> 5.6 assists (6th in the league). He is third in team scoring behind the
> American journeyman Frankie King and the former NBA 1st round draft pick
> Mirsad Turkan. PSG is in 8th place in the league standings despite a
> credible 16-12 record.

He's taller than other people have him listed, if he's 6-2.

> I haven't watched a single PSG game this year. There's actually a game
> scheduled tomorrow night against Antibes. Maybe I'll take my son to his
> first game. FWIW, what I see of French leagues play on TV is miles below
> international team standards, or the level of Italian or Spanish first
> division play. Salaries are significantly lower, for one thing, due to
> heavier taxation. Same deal in soccer BTW.
>
> "Way" must have one hell of a satellite dish, that's all I can say. ;-)
> At least Tony Parker is allegedly four inches taller than the 5-10
> Rashard Phillips. In that sense I suppose he could be an NBA prospect,
> although I wasn't aware that he declared for the NBA draft already.
> Hopefully he's picked up things from veteran journeyman Frankie King,
> PSG's leading scorer. If I have a chance to go to a game, I'll let you
> all know how he does.

I remember Bob Ryan raving about Parker after the Nike game, so I put
him in my "keep an eye on" list. Phillips is wowing the scouts, at least
to the degree that he'll likely be a first round pick.
Ray