Re: 6 for 21? 2 for 10??

Gene Kirkpatrick wrote:

> Am I reading the box correctly?  Walker shot that poorly?  That's all
> too common and it little matters that he nearly had a triple double.
> He takes too many shots and too many threes for him to be helping the
> team.
>
> I would get a point guard who can run the team and assign Walker an
> offensive role, but not let him design his own role.  If not that, I
> would trade him for someone like Antawn Jamison who isn't so wasteful.
>  We would win more, I think, with a power forward who played within
> himself and was not hoisting up countless threes.  It's not that
> Walker doesn't contribute, it's that he hurts as much as he helps.
> Stith and Vitaly contribute more for the roles they play.  Gene

Nine assists and two turnovers helps make up for the poor shooting this
time. AW not only leads power forwards in assists per game right now, but
he leads ALL forwards in assists per game. He's also second among all
forwards in steals to teammate Paul Pierce, who right now is nothing less
than the most dangerous basketball player alive. I hope we get an
efficient third scorer in the draft, rather than by trading Antoine's all
around output (and shortcomings) for someone who just scores more
efficiently. If Pond/Ainge take over, I think there is a 90% chance
Antoine will be traded and a 99% chance that we won't get more than 75% of
fair value in return. The team doesn't have the margin of error to win
around just one scorer/superstar in Pierce. If the Celts trade Walker,
don't be shocked if Pierce walks away as a free agent too. They are
becoming a kind of package deal. To illustrate this point, what I liked
the most about captains Walker and Pierce this week is how mature and
team-spirited they sound in their quotes to the media yesterday. You don't
find these qualities in every young player. They have an unbelievable
future in Boston if Pond&Co. can build talent around them.

Pierce: "I can't believe a man can average a triple-double for a week [as
Walker did] and not get it. I think it is something that should have
happened for one of us a long time ago. That's why it's not really a big
concern to me. I mean, the kind of performance Antoine put in . . . If I
had my choice, I'd give the award to him.''

Walker said, ``I'm happy for Paul. He really deserved it. He's playing
great, great basketball right now. He's doing so many things offensively
that I've never seen a guy do - scoring inside and outside, all within the
flow of the offense. He's had a great stretch. I just hope it continues
for 13 more (regular-season) games.''