Boston's rebounding situation etc.

    I noticed that Boston has fallen below the dreaded 40 rebounds per
game mark for the season (39.955), which currently places them 26th in
the NBA. They are also ranked 28th in blocked shots at 4.2 per game.

    The bizzaro thing about these stats is that the Miami Heat actually
rank one spot worse than Boston in both those categories, but still have
like a 20 game lead on us. In fact, the Heat are dead last in blocks in
the NBA.

    Talk about the Alonzo Mourning affect. Wow!

    Also, you've got to hand it to Pat Riley for finding a way to win.
What a great nemesis. El Greasy One's team is 13 games over .500 despite
crap rebounding, hopeless shot blocking as well as a team FG% (.426)
that is actually even lower than their own great defense allows (.431).
And it is not as if they compensate by dominating other major
categories, although they do out-assist teams and have fewer turnovers.
They score something like six fewer points per game than the Celtics.

    We're talking about a team that gives Bruce Bowen 32.8 minutes per
game and 57 starts this season. He wouldn't even get those numbers on
OUR team. With all that playing time, he's producing all of 0.9 steals,
1.5 assists and 3.0 rebounds while shooting .366 from the field and
bricking his free throws too.

    Meanwhile guys like Dan Majerle (.308FG%) and AC Green both have
giant forks and all kinds of other rusty silverware sticking out of
their backs, yet they still combine for more than 40 minutes a game off
the Miami bench.

    If it weren't for that damn Philly trade for Mutombo, I'd actually
like Boston's chances in the playoffs past the first round (sort of).
We'll just have to bomb Philly from the perimeter and pray for a miracle
series (if we even make the playoffs). Philly is a fascinating and
possibly great team, but I still consider them to be the bad guys out
there and won't be sad at all if Boston or any other team knocks them on
their asses in a shocker.  I guess they are kind of like the Baltimore
Ravens of the NBA.

Go Celts!

-----