Re: Palacio

In a message dated 03/03/2001 9:12:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
callmebogie@yahoo.com writes:

Are you kidding?  Lose Milt?  WHY?  With apologies to Randy "Third-Degree
Floor Burn" Brown, Milt is the best point guard on the team.  Since the
Meadowlands Miracle boosted his confidence, he's shown a propensity to push
the ball, the ability to get to the rim, solid defensive skills and even an
occasional outside touch.  I'm not saying the guy's the second coming of
Stephon Marbury, but at a minimum he's shown he can help the team as a
backup playing significant minutes.  And like Blount, the guy has some real
upside -- he's only 23.

I vote for keeping Milt -- even if the C's draft a point guard.  While
Chris Herren has been a nice human interest story, the guy's shown
absolutely nothing on either end of the floor.  If he wants a camp invite,
fine, but let's not get carried away just because he's from Fall River.

Don't see why the C's should lose Battie, either -- he looked pretty good
before that ankle injury (which looked REALLY brutal).  Let's see how he
recovers.  Now, if the right trade offer comes along, having Battie,
Potapenko and Blount could prove helpful, but for the moment I don't see
the problem in having several somewhat skilled big men.

Assuming the C's need to clear space for 3 new players (4 if Sesar comes),
I'd say a sad sayonara to Adrian (after checking to see if there's a way to
clone his basketball brain and heart and transplant them into the entire
roster).  I'd say a happy farewell to Walter and wish him a nice recording
career.  If Sesar comes, I'd bid adieu to Chris Carr, unless Stith starts
looking for a significant raise.  Finally, as noted above, I'd give Herren
a shot in camp -- if he plays great, I'd think seriously about buying out
the last 2 yrs of Anderson's contract, cap relief or no.

Mike,

I'd pretty much concur with your analysis. If the C's draft a PG, then let
Palacio and Herren stage there own version of "Survivor" series and the loser
leaves town.

McCarty should be the next in line to exit stage right. The Bulls were
supposedly agreeable to take him on in exchange for a second round pick if
Walter would have agreed to rework his contract but he refused. Given he'll
be in the final year of his contract, a team looking to clear cap space for
the following summer (' 02) might take him on, especially as a throw-in as
part of trade to make the salaries balance. If not, buy his contract out with
the $3 Million in cash the team received from Dallas for the Hot Rod/Robert
Pack trade.

My final two departures (again under your scenario of the C's keeping all
three draft picks and bringing Josep Sesar on board) would be:

1) AG, another nice human interest story but sad to say a story that had to
end;

2) Chris Carr as Sesar becomes the designated shooter. I personally would
like Carr to stay because as far as I'm concerned a team can never have too
many shooters

The thing about retaining Stith, though, that makes this whole thing kind of
tricky is that he's currently making about $5.9 million. Until he is either
re-signed (or renounced), he'll count 150% of his current salary against the
C's cap which means the C's either need to make a decision early on and
re-sign him or work a sign and trade if they aren't going to bring him back.
He certainly hasn't hurt his market value with the kind of bounce back year
he's had and I would think any number of teams would be glad to have him,
including the C's. Personally, I'd like to see him come back. He's an older,
more offensively skilled version of AG.

Obviously, the "X" factor at work here is a trade in which there are "2 for
1" or "3 for 2" players involved where the C's send out more bodies than they
take back. I also don't see them realistically exercising, and more
importantly, keeping all three first rounders. I think at the very least one
of those picks would be packaged with a player or players. And we haven't
even touched upon any free agent signing with the $4 Million (or whatever
amount it shakes out to be) exception that will be available.

The next 5 - 6 months will dramatically impact and consequently shape the
future of the organization for years to come. It should be exciting. As Ralph
Lawler, the Clippers' announcer is so fond on saying, "Fasten your seatbelts.
Here we go!"

-Steve