Re: Here We Go Again

--- John Lyell <johnlyell@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I think many would make this move in a second to give us some inside
> game
> Walker has not shown he can consistently provide.>>

You're right.  I don't know that I would make this move "in a second" (as
I would, say, trade Walker for Duncan or Walker for Shaq).  But on paper,
Webber has proven himself more of a pure power forward and less of an
interior defensive liability, so I'd strongly consider such a deal and
only say no if I thought it would harm team chemistry.  Pierce and Walker
seem to have a good thing going now, and Webber, despite his Sacto
renaissance, has never had the most team-centered attitude.  Walker,
despite the shot selection and the intemperate behavior toward refs,
generally has.  Maybe the rest of the league hates him, but his teammates
have never seemed to.

<<You seem to bit too enamored in keeping Antoine for some reason I am not
sure when he has not shown he has improved the team any.>>

There have been stretches when he has CARRIED the team, which is something
you've utterly failed to acknowledge in your zest to deal him.  No, he has
not carried the team into the playoffs in his 5 seasons, but I'm not
willing to give up on a player who still hasn't reached his 25th birthday.

<<While other teams make moves of overpaid underperfomers to improve we
stand pat and ride him until he's a Vin Baker or Kenny Anderson.>>

Purely by the numbers, Antoine has ALWAYS been better than Vin Baker and
Kenny Anderson AT THEIR PEAK.  Antoine is neither depressed nor frail.
Not sure what motivates the comparison, other than pure animosity.

<<Maybe you don't want your collection of Walker dolls and jersey's to be
worthless.>>

Good one.  Actually, my daughter has 3 Walker dolls and each of us has a
Walker jersey, but you won't be seeing them on ebay anytime soon.  They're
keepers, as is Antoine.

<<As far as Webber's free agent status I guess you have also never heard
of a sign and trade deal either.>>

Bravo on the correct use of the apostrophe.  I have heard of a sign and
trade deal, as it happens.  Perhaps you're not familiar with the "sign"
part.  It's VOLUNTARY.  The player doesn't do the "sign" part unless he's
OK with the "trade" part.

I don't disagree with the earlier poster (Mark Berry?) who raised the
"dare to dream" defense; Wallace should be pursuing every avenue to
improve this team and if he believes that getting Webber, on balance,
would help the Cs then good luck to him.  Personally, I don't believe it's
going to happen -- "Chris Webber isn't walking through that door.  Tim
Duncan isn't walking through that door.  Shawn Marion .... oops."

My main point in this response is that your Walker for Webber proposal is
the latest in a seemingly endless series of proposals to dump Antoine.  I
don't believe that Antoine is dumpworthy.  I'm disgusted by the vitriol
the so-called "fans" have spewed at him -- John, I'm not suggesting you're
one of those classless boobirds, but I strongly disagree with your obvious
desire to get him out of Boston.  Now if you want to talk about Kenny
Anderson....

Michael Gooen