Re: Here We Go Again

You know, what's wrong with thinking big? Granted, Webber in Boston is a
long shot, but shouldn't Chris Wallace at least make a pitch? What's wrong
with suggesting it? According to ESPN Insider today, the teams thought to be
the favorites to land Webber are starting to look elsewhere-Orlando is going
for Antonio Davis, Houston is so happy to have Eddie Griffin, they feel they
can sign Mo Taylor for less and get by. New York would need Allan Houston's
cooperation on any sign-and-trade, and he doesn't want to go to Sacramento.
Webber isn't especially high on Detroit or Indiana. So let's say his only
real offers were Sacramento, which he clearly doesn't like and which just
traded his best friend on the team (Jason Williams), Detroit and Indiana in
a sign-and-trade (but they don't want to give up Jermaine O'Neal). Would
Boston start to look a little more attractive? And even if you believe Toine
is basically even with Webber in terms of talent, you certainly can't
believe Webber isn't a better fit, based on need.

Look, it's the longest of long shots and probably a pipe dream, but let's
hope the organization isn't thinking so small to just decide "Why bother?
He's never coming here anyway." You want to know the one thing I am going to
miss about Pitino? That shoot for the moon mentality. Granted, he fell short
just about every time, but remember when we had 3 & 6 in the 97 draft? He
was trying to trade for Shawn Kemp and Scottie Pippen (who both were
all-stars at the time). That's thinking big. When Marbury forced his way out
of Minnesota, Boston was there trying to make the deal. Say what you will
about Pitino, but at least he never took on the attitude of "why would that
guy ever want to come to Boston?"

Anyway, back to Webber... like John Lyell wrote, it seems to me the Kings
would be fortunate to get as much as Antoine Walker out of any Webber deal
at this point. So what's the harm in trying? And what's the harm in
speculating about it?

Mark