Coaches

John Lyell wrote:

<<Someone mentioned

"Danny Ainge isn't an NBA coach and has no NBA personnel experience">>

That was me.

<<Where is it written you have to be a star to be a successful coach?>>

Don't know.  I didn't write that.

Where is it written that Danny Ainge was a "successful coach"?  He had a
very talented team, yet the only moment of his coaching career to date
anyone will ever remember is Robert Horry's towel-throwing mutiny.  (In
retrospect, I'm sure Danny's grateful that Horry didn't resort to Tree
Rollins-like attempted cannibalism.)

<<Auerbach, Riley and Phil Jackson 3 "scrubs on championship teams"  as W
put it,  might have a bone to pick with you on that one. I can't remember
what Larry Brown was like as a player. I think he was average also.  Throw
in Nellie, Karl and Silas, too.>>

WHAT???????????????????  Anyone who describes Paul Silas as an "average"
player never saw him play.  Take a look at the Bob Ryan article about
watching Game 5 of the '76 Finals with Bird. Note Bird's review of Silas'
play.  You tell me if that sounds "average".

I'm not quite as outraged about your putting Nellie in that category, but
the guy was an integral part -- starter/6th man -- on 5 (or was it 6?)
championship teams.  Can't say that about George Karl.

<<Gentry has done a nice job with the Clippers.>>

Hey, maybe the Cs can trade Walker for him.

Michael Gooen