espn insider: Hunter, Parker rising, Tinsley, Bradley Randolph sinking

	I just wrote how great it would be if Randolph were available at

21.  How about if Bradley were, as it says he might be!  Gasol, Brown,
Bradley...Diop, Gasol, Bradley....Gasol, Johnson, Randolph....It looks like
the cat is out of the bag with Tony Parker, though.  Chris Wallace must hate
this week so much....

	The 2001 NBA Draft is just two days away and the elements are in
commotion as teams try to piece together last minute workouts to get a
handle on not only whom they want, but who will actually be there when they
pick Wednesday evening.  "I've never seen so much craziness surrounding a
draft," one GM in the lottery told ESPN Insider. "On any given draft we put
together three to four scenarios of what could happen on draft day. This
year that number is closer to 10."  Trade talk continues to swirl around
Washington, where Michael Jordan has the No. 1 pick. The Grizzlies, Pistons,
Celtics, Sonics and Rockets all are making efforts to move up, but right now
all is quiet on the trade front. Expect that to change by draft time.  The
Grizzlies brought in Michigan State guard Jason Richardson
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=783> Sunday for a second
look. He worked out against Austin Peay's Trenton Hassell
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=2409>, and by all
accounts had a much better workout. The Grizzlies are in the process of
deciding whether to draft Richardson at No. 6, or trade down to No. 9 and
select either Joe Johnson
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=4440> or DeSagana Diop
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=10005>.  Meanwhile,
several prospects continue to rise as we get closer to draft day.  High
school player Kwame Brown
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=10001> now seems to be
the consensus number one player as we inch closer to draft day. High school
phenom Tyson Chandler
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=10002> seems to be his
main competition for number one. Brown, like everyone else these days, is
hoping that the LA Clippers grab him at number two.  "They're a young and
up-and-coming team," Brown told the LA Daily News. "In maybe a year or two,
they'll be in the playoffs. They're young and that's one of their upsides,
being able to beat a lot of the older guys up and down the court and tire
people out. If they can keep the team together, Lamar (Odom) and Darius,
it'll be a great thing."  DePaul's Steven Hunter
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=1300>, who has had two
solid weeks of workouts, has impressed everywhere he's gone. Though talk
about Hunter going as high as No. 9 to Detroit seem premature, he may end up
in Seattle at No. 12. Hunter worked out in Boston and Seattle this weekend
to yet more rave reviews, a league source told Insider. He'll be in Orlando
today for one more encore performance. Orlando, which picks at No. 15, won't
let him slide past there. Hunter has slipped ahead of big men Brendan
Haywood <http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=162> and Loren
Woods <http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=2665> on almost
every team's draft board.  Arkansas shooting guard Joe Johnson seems to be
back in favor after a slow start to the workout process. A league source
told Insider Sunday night that Johnson has received a promise to drafted in
the top 9. Johnson has skipped several last minute requests to work out from
teams drafting below there. The Cleveland Cavaliers
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=Cle> are said to be debating
between Johnson and Yugoslavian Vladimir Radmanovic for their pick at No. 8,
the source told Insider.  The Celtics are denying that they have any deal on
the table with Arn Tellam to draft JUCO star Kedrick Brown
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=10017>. Rumors have been
running rampant that Brown, who has refused to work out with anyone not in
the top 10, is a lock for the Celtics.  "He's another guy we've tried to get
in for a workout to no avail," Celtics GM Chris Wallace told the Boston
Herald. "He's sort of like (Yugoslav forward Vladimir) Radmanovic, a late
climber in the process. He's an athletic kid, probably the best junior
college player in the country. He started out as an interior player in high
school and worked his way out to the 3 spot."  Nevertheless, Brown continues
to receive high marks from the select few who have seen him play. He
combines the athleticism that GMs covet with a very nice outside shooting
touch.  The Celtics have been focusing more of their attention on high
school center DeSagana Diop, who many now feel could drop out of the top 10.
Diop slipped into the Berto center this weekend for a super secret private
workout for the Bulls against another high school big man, Eddy Curry
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=10004>. This is the
second time the Bulls have worked out Curry, fueling speculation in Chicago
that the Bulls will select him at No. 4 if he falls that far.  France's Tony
Parker <http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=10012> seems to
have leaped ahead of Omar Cook
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=456> and Jamaal Tinsley
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=896> on most team's
draft boards. Parker, who first wowed scouts at the Nike Hoop Summit last
year, was compared to the Suns' Jason Kidd by one league source.  "He's a
better shooter than Kidd, but he's got that aloof demeanor on the court, a
quiet cockiness that show he's in charge," the source told Insider. "He's
still a bit frail, but he could really be a big time prospect."  Just how
high could Parker go? He's one of several names that seem bottle necked at
the 15 slot where Orlando is selecting. Golden State (No. 14), Toronto (No.
17) and Boston (No. 21) all love him. He won't slip past Utah at No. 24.
Maryland's Terence Morris
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=160> and Indiana's Kirk
Haston <http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=746> are two
players making late charges toward the first round. Morris has put together
a string of solid workouts and the buzz is that Houston (No. 23),
Philadelphia (No. 26) and San Antonio (No. 28) will all give Morris a long
look. Morris's game continues to intrigue scouts who insist that in the
right situation he could become a key third man on a successful team.
Haston has also put on several impressive workouts. He has the size and
shooting ability NBA teams covet, though there is some concern about his
lack of athleticism. It's widely believed that Haston would have pulled out
of the draft had he not received a promise that he'd be taken in the first
round. Philadelphia (No. 26), Vancouver (No. 27) and San Antonio (No. 28)
are the most likely destinations.  Grizzlies staff settling in
<javascript:launchBrowser('http://www.gomemphis.com/newca/sports/062501/s25g
riz.htm', 'sitelineWin', 700, 550)> Ron Higgins/Memphis Commercial Appeal
Kwame Brown likes the Clippers
<javascript:launchBrowser('http://www.dailynewslosangeles.com/sports/article
s/0601/23/spo13.asp', 'sitelineWin', 700, 550)> David Felton/LA Daily News
Jerry Kraus cloaked in secrecy
<javascript:launchBrowser('http://www.suntimes.com/output/basketball/mock24.
html', 'sitelineWin', 700, 550)> Roman Modrowski/Chicago Sun Times  NBA or
CIA: Krause hides Diop's visit
<javascript:launchBrowser('http://chicagotribune.com/sports/printedition/art
icle/0,2669,SAV-0106240429,FF.html', 'sitelineWin', 700, 550)> KC
Johnson/Chicago Tribune  Celtics want to work out Diop
<javascript:launchBrowser('http://www2.bostonherald.com/sport/basketball/cs0
6232001.htm', 'sitelineWin', 700, 550)> Steve Bulpett/Boston Herald  JUCO
star Kederick Brown might be secret weapon
<javascript:launchBrowser('http://www.miami.com/herald/content/sports/basket
ball/nba/digdocs/098961.htm', 'sitelineWin', 700, 550)> Stephen Holder/Miami
Herald  Jordan Not Part of Wizards' Plan
<javascript:launchBrowser('http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35
425-2001Jun22.html', 'sitelineWin', 700, 550)> Steve Wyche/Washington Post
White igniting number one buzz
<javascript:launchBrowser('http://www.charlotte.com/observer/sports/docs/rod
ney06230.htm', 'sitelineWin', 700, 550)> Stan Olson/Charlotte Observer
Woods, Bradley, Tinsley sinking  With all of the turmoil going on at the top
of the draft, several players are inevitably sinking into the sunset as the
big night approaches.  Chief among them is Arizona big man Loren Woods.
Woods, who impressed scouts at a private workout in Chicago and several team
workouts, seems to be sliding. Though he has bulked up, lingering questions
about his back and his mental toughness will likely cause Woods to slip out
of the lottery. He shouldn't slide any further than No. 20 to Cleveland, a
disappointing turn of events for someone who would've been a high lottery
pick last year had he declared for the draft.  With the emergence of Tony
Parker and St. John's Omar Cook, don't be surprised to see Iowa State point
guard Jamaal Tinsley fall all the way to the mid 20s. Several teams,
including Washington and Chicago, like Tinsley, but he's had a difficult
time creating the buzz of many of the other prospects. A so-so workout in
Golden State means the Warriors will likely pass on Tinsley at No. 14.
Boston at No. 21 or Orlando at 22 are the next two closest teams that need a
point guard. Given the right circumstances, Tinsley could slip all the way
to Utah at No.24. Talk about a gift from heaven.  Another big guy seemingly
lost in the shuffle is Villanova's Michael Bradley, who could conceivably go
anywhere from Boston (No. 11) to Houston (No. 23). By all accounts, Bradley
has had solid workouts, but the emergence of Vladimir Radmanovic, Steven
Hunter and Troy Murphy have hurt Bradley's chances of landing in the
lottery.  Michigan State's Zach Randolph is one of the hardest players in
the first round to get a read on. He could go as high as Orlando No. 15 or
as low as Utah No. 24. Insider talked to several teams that were impressed
with Randolph's game and conditioning (sorry about the Twinkie remark Zach).
One team told Insider he has the talent to be a lottery pick.  However,
every positive assessment came with a caveat. Randolph, according to a
league source, hasn't scored well on the personality tests that teams give.
Teams are concerned about Randolph's maturity and how he'll handle being a
19 year-old millionaire. Said the source, "He may be the most immature
player in the draft, and that has teams thinking twice."  Indiana picking up
the pace  Count the Pacers
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=ind> among the teams
desperately trying to move into the first round by Wednesday. Along with the
Knicks, the Pacers are looking to land somewhere in the mid-first round and
are targeting Houston, Boston, Orlando and Cleveland, all of whom have
multiple picks.  According to the Indianapolis Star, the Pacers are trying
to package Austin Croshere
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3182> in a deal that
would bring them a mid first round pick. Pacers GM Donnie Walsh said that
Indiana will be active in pursuing a draft pick or free-agents to help the
team along. "We don't feel like we need a major overhaul," Walsh said. "But
we've got good young players who need help."  Would Chris Webber
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=1272> help? Of
course. But Walsh denied that the Pacers have been talking to the Kings
about a Webber swap. Teams can't start discussing free-agents until July 1.
However, Walsh said he wouldn't pursue Webber at the expense of trading
Jermaine O'Neal
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3120>. "If they want
O'Neal," Walsh said, "that would be a deal breaker."  Boston and Houston had
a strong interest in Croshere last summer and would likely be the teams most
willing to do a deal. Each has three first round draft picks.  The other
team that seems on the move is the Knicks
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=Nyk>. According to the New
York Post, Knicks president Scott Layden has his eye on several prospects,
including St. John's point guard Omar Cook
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/player?playerId=456>.  "We'll prepare as
if we can move up," Layden said. "If we can move up, great. I won't put a
percentage on it, but a lot of teams are poking around, seeing what they can
get. We've had conversations with teams about moving up. We'll continue to
work to see if we can improve ourselves in the draft."  Indeed, teams with
multiple first-round picks are more then ever looking to trade one of them.
The Post has reported Layden has had conversations with Orlando about its
No. 23 pick.  Croshere looks like odd man out
<javascript:launchBrowser('http://www.indystar.com/print/sports/sun/articles
/krav24.html', 'sitelineWin', 700, 550)> Bob Kravitz/Indianapolis Star
Tribune  Walsh denies Pacers asked about Webber
<javascript:launchBrowser('http://www.indystar.com/print/sports/sat/articles
/pnotes23.html', 'sitelineWin', 700, 550)> Mark Monieth/Indianapolis Star
Webber shopping for homes in Orlando
<javascript:launchBrowser('http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/
orl-spt-schmitz062301.column?coll=orl%2Dsports%2Dheadlines', 'sitelineWin',
700, 550)> Brian Schmitz/Orlando Sentinel  Knicks may be moving up
<javascript:launchBrowser('http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/28050.htm',
'sitelineWin', 700, 550)> Marc Berman/NY Post  Kings ransom on White
Chocolate's head?  It's one of the worst kept secrets in the NBA: The Kings
are actively seeking to move point guard Jason Williams
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3250>.  The
Sacramento Bee is reporting that the Orlando Magic
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=orl> and the Indiana Pacers
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=ind> are interested in
Williams.  "We haven't spoken to them about Jason," said the member of the
Magic organization, "but I think we would have some interest."  Don't be
surprised if the Kings try to package Williams in a sign-and-trade with
Chris Webber <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=1272> if
they believe Webber will not re-sign. A Webber-Williams combo might be
enough to fetch Sacramento a king's ransom in return, but Williams alone
would go for a deeply discounted price, according to the Bee.  Said one
front-office executive of the possibility of trading Williams: "I think he's
in play everywhere. The problem with Jason is I think Sacramento wants his
value to be his potential and anyone that is thinking about trading for him
wants his value to be what he's proven on the court.  "That's the sticking
point. I wouldn't give up a lot to get him. I'm not sure what 'a lot' is,
but he's too volatile to spend a lot on."  Said another executive: "The
Kings want to trade him as the No. 7 pick of the draft (as he was in 1998)
compared to what he has done. It's going to be hard to find a middle ground
on that one."  Point guard for a price: Kings shopping J-Will
<javascript:launchBrowser('http://www.sacbee.com/sports/news/sports06_200106
24.html', 'sitelineWin', 700, 550)> Martin McNeal/Sacramento Bee

 <<...>> 		 <<...>>
 <http://espn.go.com> <<...>>  <http://espn.go.com>	ESPN
<http://espn.go.com/> | Fantasy Games
<http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/home/request.dll?FRONTPAGE> | Member Services
<http://games.espn.go.com/memberservices/index.html>
Copyright ©2001 ESPN Internet Ventures. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form.
Please click here <http://www.dig.com/legal/wdig_privacy.html> for legal
restrictions and terms of use applicable to this site. Use of this site
signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use
<http://disney.go.com/investors/wdig/legal/terms.html>.

ESPN.com
<http://transfer.go.com/cgi/transfer.pl?goto=http://espn.go.com&name=1343&sr
vc=sz> | NFL.com