Re: Antoine Walker/Draft

At 20:59 24/06/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I have never said he was not a talented player to give up for nothing
>(...)Stephon Marbury is another talented player that does not seem to make
>teams better. This is why Jersey is now looking to move him.

I respect where John Lyell is coming from, but "making teams better" is not
a persuasive argument in this context. Every Walker scenario I've read over
the past few years has involved trading him for a franchise player making
his team better to the tune of 15-20 wins per year (Elton Brand, Bibby
and/or Michael Dickerson, Shareef every year, Mo Taylor or Kandi before).
If those guys were so preferable to Antoine, there teams would win more.

I think some guys may slightly overrate the value of franchise players who
play a traditional role instead of a hybrid one like Antoine. It is a
"grass is greener" perspective, except that the crabgrass underneath Elton
Brand or Shareef isn't greener than what we have here. It is just that we
focus on all the negatives here. Yes some do well sticking to a traditional
position, whereas other championship programs choose to build instead
around versatile "tweeners" (Larry Bird, Iverson, Kobe, Garnett, Magic,
even Duncan and MJ).

On a different note, you often hear the argument that "if so and so took 25
shots a night, he'd average 20 points too". Most players wouldn't be able
to create 20 shots for themselves in a game. And if the defense were keyed
into what was coming on a nightly basis,  the guy would be lucky to even
get off 10 hail mary's in a game.

Playing in organized games, I know that our team's "go-to" scorer is going
to have a weaker shooting percentage than I will as a spot-up shooter. But
you'll have to trust me that I couldn't force up 20 shots in a game against
a good defender even if I played from sunrise to sunset. I've also been on
teams with one exceptional scorer where the coach starts out the season
preaching "team basketball" and so-and-so number of passes before you shoot
etc., and we end up losing games we should win, playing hot potato with the
ball. Someone's got to take charge. It is good coaching to find your most
talented scorer and create plays for him.

Yet I've always been the first guy to criticize a ball hog with a weak
shooting percentage on a losing team (like a Mashburn or Aguirre at Dallas,
Sprewell at GS, or Ron Harper at Cleveland), even though you'll notice I've
never criticized Antoine Walker. If you don't know the difference between
Antoine Walker and other ballhog shooters, then you don't know basketball
period.

I'm not saying don't trade Antoine under the right scenario (and John
Lyell's not saying anything less either, BTW). But I would say this is a
akin to selling out of a company you built, a few months befor the IPO. It
becomes a complete waste of our time to dump Antoine at 24....similar to
what Clippers fans suffer through. Those guys listed above (all are
inferior all-around talents than Antoine) were dumped in a very similar way
and went on to reach their athletic peak at the tender age of 27 (yeah,
what a shocker). They went on to help their new teams win or compete for
championships. Why do you think there remains an NBA heirarchy of the great
teams and the farm teams, despite the lottery system? Where do the Boston
Celtics fit in this picture? Loser teams trade their best players before
they reach NBA maturity.You can counter-argue that these teams congenitally
make bad draft situations at the top of the lottery, but has that really
been the case for the Grizzlies or Clippers?

***