RE: 7mil for Palacio!!!!!!

Personally I think we probably paid a bit more for Palacio than we should of, but heck it's only two years, and if things don't pan out then the salary won't kill us for years to come.  ie.  Dino and the unfortunate occurrence with Reggie.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Murphy [mailto:tfmiii@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 2:06 PM
To: Celtic list
Subject: 7mil for Palacio!!!!!!

My guess is that it came down to a question of more years or more money per
year and we are paying him a premium now in order to cut the contract down
to two years. In other words we'd rather pay a higher per year than extend
the contract out for several years like Rick did with Knight, Battie, or V.

This contract won't push us over the luxury tax and it won't prevent us from
signing FAs (Kenny's does that) so given the two year limitation the actual
dollar figure will not really affect the team's long-term strategy. If Joe
Johnson blossoms into a legit PG quality ballhandler you can say goodbye in
two years. On the other hand if Palacio really steps up then you've not only
got his bird rights but also a reservoir of good faith to draw upon.

I would guess (hope?) we will hear that there was some competition for his
services as well (probably offering a longer term contract).

Cheers - TomM

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/ACN16