Re: 7mil for Palacio!!!!!!

--- You wrote:

1. Why didn't they sign him to their typical deal for minimum wage free
agents when they brought him aboard last year? They usually use a two year
deal, with the second year being a team option; they used this for Bowen
and Adrian Griffin.

2. Wasn't Milt a restricted free agent? Couldn't we have just tendered a
small contract and then matched any other team's offer?

I'm really curious about Stith now.
--- end of quote ---

Well, I got sick of guessing and waiting for the media to provide the details,
and looked up the CBA. It seems that they must've used their mid-level ($4.5)
exception to sign Palacio, because

a) his reported salary far exceeds the maximum contract for an FA who doesn't
qualify for either Bird exception ("early" or "normal")**;

b) they used the $1M one on Carr last year, and you only get that every other
year;

Therefore, Stith could be signed by us only as a "Non-Qualifying Veteran Free
Agent" (he doesn't qualify for the Bird exceptions because he hasn't been with
the team 2 years or more), which means he can make any amount first year up to
the allowed NQVFA salary plus the maximum 10% raises every year (see below).

**the greater of 120% of the previous year's salary or 120% of the NBA minimum

To answer Alex's questions.