Re: 7mil for Palacio!!!!!!

The questions I have are:

1. Why didn't they sign him to their typical deal for minimum wage free
agents when they brought him aboard last year? They usually use a two year
deal, with the second year being a team option; they used this for Bowen
and Adrian Griffin.

2. Wasn't Milt a restricted free agent? Couldn't we have just tendered a
small contract and then matched any other team's offer?

I supposed another team could have offered him a longer deal, as Tom
speculates, which we would not have wanted to match because Wallace is
clearly targeting 2002 (and beyond) as a year when he wants to maintain cap
flexibility. I wonder if we'll also hear that the contract is front-loaded
to a degree, which would keep us away from the luxury tax next year when
Pierce's extension kicks in.

I'm really curious about Stith now. I'm not sure we can make the argument
that we could have signed one of the more desirable middle class exception
free agents instead of Stith/Palacio because many of these guys are looking
to cash in with 5-7 year deals. And this year's free agent class isn't
really all that thrilling in this region. It could be that in later years,
we'll see better players drop down to take long, middle class contracts. As
teams start re-signing guys from Pierce's rookie class, for instance, a lot
of them could be pushing against that luxury tax. We may have a good
opportunity in 2002 to poach a decent free agent even if we're not below
the cap.

Alex