Re: interesting NBA notes

--- You wrote:
trying? Where's the interest in Nazr Mohammed? I mean, just because the
Celts don't want to sign a free agent, doesn't mean they can't explore
sign-and-trades. I actually think a sign-and-trade with Atlanta for Mohammed
is very possible when you start discussing Vitaly.
--- end of quote ---

I'm wary about Nazr - I think for once May is right about half-season wonders
(in his Sunday column). A lug who hasn't done much in several years suddenly
comes alive for a stretch of games in the last year of his contract, gets a big
contract, and goes back to his MO. Sound familiar? It should. Geiger, Austin,
Stewart, Cato etc.  etc.  were all thought to be on the verge of a breaktrough
into the productive stage of their careers. Yet it's only been productive for
their agents, who stir up a frenzy among the GMs so that they start competing
for the services of the newly (and briefly) motivated FA and drive up his price
way beyond his true value.

Mohammed hasn't done anything in stretches that Battie or even Vitaly haven't.
If you look carefully enough, you'll find productive stretches for any player
in the league who averaged 11 rpg, or 20 ppg, or shot well while starting/on
the road/at home, during full moon, while his mom was in town, or when he was
in the last month of his expiring contract. At least with Vitaly we know that
he's going to put forth the effort and improve as much as his modest talent
allows. At least Battie can block shots (which Nazr, with his 1 bpg, apparently
can't do even when his contract is expiring) and get 12 rebounds a game IF he's
motivated.
Kestas