Re: interesting NBA notes

At 11:38 10/07/01 -0400, Kestutis Kveraga wrote:
>--- You wrote:
>trying? Where's the interest in Nazr Mohammed? I mean, just because the
>Celts don't want to sign a free agent, doesn't mean they can't explore
>sign-and-trades. I actually think a sign-and-trade with Atlanta for Mohammed
>is very possible when you start discussing Vitaly.
>--- end of quote ---
>
>Mohammed hasn't done anything in stretches that Battie or even Vitaly haven't.
>If you look carefully enough, you'll find productive stretches for any player
>in the league who averaged 11 rpg, or 20 ppg, or shot well while starting/on
>the road/at home, during full moon, while his mom was in town, or when he was
>in the last month of his expiring contract. At least with Vitaly we know that
>he's going to put forth the effort and improve as much as his modest talent
>allows. At least Battie can block shots (which Nazr, with his 1 bpg,
>apparently
>can't do even when his contract is expiring) and get 12 rebounds a game IF
>he's
>motivated.

I really admit to having no idea about Nazr' actual game, but last year he
had some rebounding performances that it would be quite hard to picture
Batgirl or Potsie having.

I kind of view him as a taller Fortson with sufficient athleticism to hang
with our system.

For instance, Nazr had a 19 rebound game against the Pistons, followed by a
five-game stretch of 15, 15, 16, 8 and 16 boards (in just 28.4 minutes of
PT in that stretch). Also he had a 9 offensive rebound game in 23 minutes
earlier in the year versus the Grizz.

Earlier I posted his scouting reports from college and it suggests he was a
player with an outstanding work ethic.

He's only 24 and it's not like we'll pay him "Geiger money". In fact, I
assume we are pretty much limited to 4.5 million exception for two years.

He may still be an overpaid bust for Obie. There are a lot of good reasons
why it seems like a stretch he could help us.

But would even an occasional 15+ rebound game from a center hurt our team?
That doesn't sound too bad to me. I don't know, but it seems at least worth
exploring.

Joe

****