Re: Cap math (was: In pursuit on #17)

At 12:55 02/07/01 -0400, Alexander Wang wrote:
>Getting back to Mark's plan. Let's say we can't make the trade for
>Coleman. Again, I'm guessing we'll be at $54M next year. We'll add another
>$1M thru the draft and $3M in internal raises (since Kenny won't be
>getting a raise :). We'll lose $9M off Kenny's salary and $3M off Randy
>Brown, which puts us at $46M. That won't leave us in a position to pursue
>a free agent; we'll probably be right at the cap. However, we can pursue a
>middle class free agent with the exception since we'll have enough
>breathing room under the luxury tax threshold.

A lot of good points in this post. I think some people might conclude that,
at least in practice, the luxury cap would serve as a new NBA "hard cap"
complementing the softer salary cap rules. That is to say, many teams may
be skittish to exceed the luxury total, even if they are in a position to
compete and have a good fan base.

My fear is that the luxury tax may actually drive a much deeper wedge than
anticipated between the "have" and "have not" owners. The truth is it is
not a "hard cap" at all in terms of levelling the playing field.

For instance, the billionaire owners and conglomerates can take this
business opportunity to leave the small market and for-profit owners in the
dust. The NBA might come to resemble European football, where the Man U's
and Real Madrid's and Juventus' still play a regular schedule in their
respective leagues, against for the most part, laughably lower-budget
teams. Some of these top clubs go 15 players deep in World Cup caliber
players from around the world, and pay a king's ransom in transfer fees to
build this level of dominance. If those teams' develop a star out of their
youth programs, they go directly on to the big boys.

America may be the biggest market for sports. If the Red Sox can afford
over a 100 million dollar payroll, than surely NBA owners Portland or
Dallas might not flinch at that staggering amount (more than double the NBA
salary cap) upon factoring in the luxury tax if they deem it 1) affordable
and 2) a clear path to a comparative advantage. This approach won't
guanantee success, of course. From the Celtics' perspective, the draft
takes paramount importance.

If we talking about the "small market" Red Sox or Patriots, let's at least
admit that there would simply be no question management would feel
obligated to fans to try to fill in some of the holes from the draft via
the free agent market (addressing our horrible rebounding deficit most
notably). That's not something we can count on from the Celtics.

Should that matter? Well, if the Celtics can't rebound next year, they will
lose. If they lose, they will blow up the team.

In this light, I'd argue that Pierce and Walker might not be that different
from Iverson and Carter. The diefference is they don't have the veteran
support to give their team a chance to compete and, in turn, build faith
and confidence in the overall direction of the program as a result.

There is even talk of trading Walker this summer, just as other loser clubs
dumped Chris Webber at the same age for putting up big numbers on even
worse-performing teams than the Celtics. He couldn't help those teams win,
even with at least one All Star level sidekick on his team.

I'll say this much, Chris Webber never played on a team whose third and
fourth most talented and valuable players were a one-armed Bryant Stith and
a .350FG% type guy like Eric Williams. I know, someone out there thinks I'm
being unfair to all the Walker-bashers right?

Okay, I also admit Boston was a lot deeper in talent than last year than
our fearsome "big four". In fact, Blount or Potapenko may actually have
been at least as valuable as Stith and Williams to the success of our
36-win team. Oh boy.

I think it is of critical importance to fill out the edges of our young
team with a monster rebounder in the Jerome Williams or Nazr Mohammad mold.
The Celtics need to develop confidence in winning and a sense they are
moving in the right direction, and that's just not going to happen with
only Walker consistently in the double-double range.

If many teams are as skittish about the luxury tax a reported, then the 4.5
million exception might go a long way for a team like Boston, which is 10
million under the luxury threshold assuming they don't re-sign any of our
five free agents. It is like we are wimping out of free agency like the
rest of the league, even though we don't have to. Alternatively, perhaps
Wallace can explore a one-year contract to a veteran center-forward with
Stith type intangibles, and maybe offer a coaching/front office opportunity
after or chance to re-sign at a rate that fits. I'd also like for Boston to
explore sign-and-trades and three-ways and all the complicated things that
an elite GM ought to do to earn his paycheck and build a winner. Maybe even
exploit a luxury tax forced trade similar to the Cliff Robinson for Jud
Buechler deal. Basically, Robinson was a 1.4 million dollar Summer free
agent signing (the additional cost after you subtract Buechler and
Wallace's salary). That's a pretty good deal.

If no one out there on the FA  or trade landscape can contribute more
quality minutes and production than Poodle Boy is projected to next year,
then fine back off it. I'll totally trust the experts on this, even if
they've overrated Moiso every year he's ever played the game.

***