Pitino (well, what else would it be?)

Well, this will certainly not be a popular opinion I dare say, but
here goes anyway.

I'm of two minds about Rick Pitino's departure.  Like many, I thought
he had a good chance of turning the team into a winning team when he
came in.  He didn't.  On the other hand, I can't agree with those who
think that he "failed miserably".  Failed?  Yes, I guess you'd have
to say that, because, for me, not failing as coach of the Celtics
equals getting more wins than losses, and that's not the case for
Pitino.  But I think he did some good things.  The team is actually
better now than when he started -- he made some good moves and some
bad ones.  I certainly had a lot of problems with the style _and_
substance of his coaching, but he also knows more about basketball
than I do.  I don't see Jim O'Brien changing much about the system or
how it's implemented.  While O'Brien is probably capable, Pitinoball
without Pitino is like Imperial France without Napoleon.  What's the
point?  The real question is, who will be GM and President? Who will
own the team?  As Jim M. said, this ought to have been done at the
end of the season, so that these things can be settled.  Right now,
we are, in actuality, rudderless (in opposition to those who thought
we were directionless with Pitino at the helm, this actually defines
that state).  Everything is up in the air.

So, back to my two minds.  Pitino did a capable job, but not
spectacular, and spectacular was what the team needed.  Unfortunate.
On the other hand, he's now a former C's coach, and a losing one at
that, so he can finally drop off my radar screen, for which I am
grateful.  His system is probably still in place, though, so we
should see more of the same.  Also unfortunate.  He ought to have
left at season's end, but, like so many things Pitino did or said,
chalk this one up to "Should have" or "ought to have" and not "did".

What's truly and most unfortunate, though, is the validation all the
vulture-like media types wil heap upon themselves, crowing about they
all saw it coming, should have happened earlier, how wonderful it is,
blah blah blah.  For me, these folks are in the same category as
those who would boo the team at a home game.  They'll see this as an
opportunity to talk about how terrible Pitino was, but they tend to
minimize the responsibility of the players.  I'm pretty sure Rick
Pitino knows how to run a fast break.  I'm not so confident about a
bunch of the players knowing that, or translating what they know onto
the court.

The timing of this is simply incredible.  I'm watching tonight's game
with a Blazer fan/friend.  Think I'll get any crap?  Lord, I'd better
get out the shovel, 'cause I'm gonna hear it tonight.  Have mercy.

I can't help but feel a little sorry for Rick Pitino.  Poor bastard.
Sure, he "failed" but no one can say that he didn't work hard or
wasn't knowledgeable (though they, of course, did try to say that).
It just didn't work out.  Will the next coach/GM/President/owner team
work out?  Hell if I know.  Let's hope so.  Some of the names being
bandied about in the List sound decent, but I guess we're not going
to know until season's end.  More's the pity.  Lottery sounds more
likely than playoffs now, to be sure.

Ah, rebuilding.  Such a lovely process.  Can we do this every year?

Regards,

Bill, Celticus "Tirdius" Maximus