Re: Pitino Moves

Title: Re: Pitino Moves

Billups was not given a chance to help us..Pitino screwed up that young man completely. With Walker in a point forward role, a player like Billups can play good defense and also add scoring from perimeter. Mercer can be a lot more useful, if you look at back-to-back games the minutes are taking there toll on both Pierce and Walker. Mercer could come in as a 6th man and help us score when Walker and Pierce are not in the game.
John Lyell
-               *******************

My recolection is that Walker and Billups clashed repeatedly. Walker wanted the game to go through him and Billups didn't want to play it that way. As far as Chauncy being a two guard, not a point, that is very clear, but at the time, in order to get Anderson(right or wrong choice, we needed a point guard) Toronto insisted on Billups who they thought could play the point. They didn't for long though, as he was traded very quickly back to home town Denver, which didn't keep him long either.
   I'd love to have Chauncy now that he knows the limitations on his game and would accept a sixth man riole. The same with Mercer. With his contract year coming, there was no chance he'd play second fiddle to Pierce and like it. As for Pitino wanting to get rid of him, I don't think so, his agents pushed him out.

(**) That I agree but why was RP in such a hurry to ship Mercer out and get  Danny Fortson in, plus why would one assume that Fortson, if he proved his abilities in Boston would take any less. RP could have waited for Mercer's contract to expire..asses the market and could have signed to a longer term deal or alternatively signed and traded him to some team who was giving Mercer a better deal.
John Lyell
    Thinking about Mercer almost coming back to Boston last summer, it might also be fair to conclude that Pitino and Ron had agreed that Mercer would not get the minutes he needed to get a huge contract and they mutualy agreed to part company, partly for Ron's benefit.
   The C's also needed a strong rebounder. The probelm with Fortson and assesing his value was Walker not going home and coming back in "Scotty Pippin shape." Fortson couldn't get enough minutes unless Antoine was able to play the three..
JB

Unchain My Heart!