Re: Pitino Moves

  John Lyell <johnlyell@hotmail.com> wrote:

Why would we want either of these guys ?
They did not help us when they were here, and we seem to be showing some team chemistry which Mercer would not help.

(**) Billups was not given a chance to help us..Pitino screwed up that young man completely. With Walker in a point forward role, a player like Billups can play good defense and also add scoring from perimeter. Mercer can be a lot more useful, if you look at back-to-back games the minutes are taking there toll on both Pierce and Walker. Mercer could come in as a 6th man and help us score when Walker and Pierce are not in the game. Also, we can't conclude anything these guys did or didn't do from the Pitino era. RP is one messed up individual who had an over-exaggerated opinion of himself.

Guys like Griffin, Chris Carr, and Palacio play with more heart and for less money.

(**) Let's see Griffin is a no show, Carr and Palacio are good bench players but our bench gets consistently out-scored by the oponent. I would be lot more confident with Mercer as the 6th man..sometimes heart is not enough. We need talent.

Billups is a backup role player no better than a Doug Overton or Dana Barros, Randy Brown.  Sure with Brown's, Herren's and Anderson injuries we could use him, but hell we could use a Pepe Sanchez, Damon Jones, or Troy Hudson too, and for a lot less. Hopefully Herren & Moiso will turn out to provide some value. Billups has actually played better in the 2 spot, which he was not given the chance here.

(**) I don't know much about Overton but to the best of my knowledge Dana Barros couldn't defend anybody, let along Iverson and Marbury and Brown can't score. Regarding Pepe Sanchez, Damon Jones and Troy Hudson there collective average is less then that of Chauncy Billups..so let's not make irrational comparisons.

I am not denying Pitino had a piss poor record with his moves, but we do have some younger talent, whether they will mature we will have to see. I think we are better without Mercer and Billups.

(**) I don't see the younger talent at these positions and strongly dis-agree with your assertion but we can keep on arguing ad-nauseum.

Ron Mercer's agent screwed him. He would have still been here if he would have accepted the 4 year $28M contract offered. But he thought he was worth $10M a year which he was not. So a business decision had to be made, and at the time, I do not think there was a lot of interest.

(**) That I agree but why was RP in such a hurry to ship Mercer out and get  Danny Fortson in, plus why would one assume that Fortson, if he proved his abilities in Boston would take any less. RP could have waited for Mercer's contract to expire..asses the market and could have signed to a longer term deal or alternatively signed and traded him to some team who was giving Mercer a better deal.

Do You Yahoo!?
- Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail Personal Address - only $35 a year!