From: Shailendra Mishra
To: John Lyell ; Dorine Pratt ; celts
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 12:10 PM
Subject: Re: Pitino

My comments are marked with (**)

  John Lyell <johnlyell@hotmail.com> wrote:

I have to disagree with Mercer and Billups, for one you have to look at that draft and after about 2 players the next 5-6 have played for as many teams as they have years in the league, so it was a very poor draft. At that time I think most thought these were good choices and I personally expected Mercer to be a lot better. he just has not improved his perimeter game.

(**) Yes Mercer and Billups have played for a no. of teams but do you seriously think that you can aquire any of them by trading anynody on our roster (with the exception of Walker & Pierce). Billups can really help us now with Randy Brown less then 100%, Pierce too could be a big help as a 3rd scorer <he is averaging about 20 ppg shooting almost 44%, 33% from 3 point line, averaging 4 rpg, 3.1 apg>, so I am not sure which weakness are you talking about.

If you want to get picky in the pre-pitino years we could have selected Michael Finley instead of Eric Williams, and probably something better than Montross. I don't hear anyone talking about those brilliant selections. Although Walker is a marketable commodity, I am not sure he has the leadership ability to take us to the next level. To me he just wants his touches and to sit out side launching 3's. I have to admit he has played well as of late.

(**) I am not talking about who Pitino drafted or did not draft, I am talking about players who were here and were let go or traded for frivolous reasons. Billups did not play upto standards but Mercer in his first year was considered to be a budding star.

If you don't think Walker has leadership ability, then I don't understand your definition of leadership. Walker has always tried to carry the team on his back and at times maybe is guilty of trying too hard on his own. Now, he has worked out a nice chemistry with Pierce and the result is for every one to see. Also, Walker is much more than launching 3's, you don't average 9.7 rebounds by staying on parameter or average 5.1 assists.

Billups will always be merely a role player. it would have been better to apprentice him in under Wesley, but at the time we could not live with a backcourt of Wesley, Dee Brown, and Barros. I think Kenny is a better point than Wesley, just not as durable and would probably be better on another team.

 (**) Billups is getting better with each year his assists nos. are up, he is shooting better percentage. It takes time for some pg's..I remember in 1992-93 some people were calling Gary Payton the same thing and wanted to trade him <I am not comparing both of them BTW>, just merely contesting that there is not enough evidence to conclude that.

I don't think Billups or Mercer is much more marketable than what we have and that is why they have changed teams about 4 times each. Chicago was the only one to offer Mercer much and that was because they needed to fill some roster spots, and some seats, because nobody else wanted to go there.

 (**) Needless to say that I totally disagree with that, I don't think you can get either of them by trading somebody on our roster with the exception of Walker & Pierce.

Fox has been a big disappointment with the Lakers.

 (**) Now Fox is playing 24 min on a championship calibre team, he is a multipurpose player who can pass, defend and score a little. I would say he is doing his job, nobody expects him to go for 20 every night..so I don't understand the disappointment.

                                             - Mishra

Do You Yahoo!?
- Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail Personal Address - only $35 a year!