No Subject

Paul M. wrote:

You're not a wet blanket Mark, but I'm curious. A question about numbers.
I've heard over and over for years now how we'd be a much better team with a
player like Abdur Rahim. I keep hearing the numbers line with him over and
over again. How he makes players around him better, he's efficient, he's
going to dominate the East. What's the Hawks' record this year? Here's a
player who puts up great numbers year in and year out. So what's the
problem. You agree that the bottom-line is wins, yes? He's been the leader
on every team he's been on. Why isn't this guy getting his team wins? Think
you could argue that Abdur Rahim is just a selfish player?

---end---

I wouldn't trade Antoine straight-up for Abdur-Rahim. There was a time when
I would have, but not anymore. Shareef is a more efficient scorer, but the
rebounding is comparable and Shareef certainly isn't as good with the ball.
If there's any player who turns the ball over while driving into traffic
more than Toine, it's Shareef. He also, like Toine, gets his shot blocked a
lot. They're both 'tweeners, which is a big part of the problem. They're not
good defenders. Is he selfish? I don't know. I don't think he's as mentally
tough as Antoine, that's for sure.

But it's not about Shareef vs. Antoine. It's not about Antoine vs. anyone in
particular. Doesn't his shot selection bother you? Doesn't the fact that he
shoots more than anyone in the league but Iverson and Jordan-while shooting
38 percent-bother you? I know you don't like the term "selfish." But what
would you call it? Is firing up 23 shots a game when you only shoot 38
percent not selfish? Wouldn't it be better for the team if he cut down on
the shots and used his considerable ball-handling and passing skills to
create for others? If you have the ability to do that, and don't, isn't that
selfish? And if you have the ability and don't use it, what good is it?
Don't you think Antoine is wasting a lot of his natural talent by playing
the way he is, jacking up quick, bad shots without creating offense for
anyone else? I mean, we've all seen how good he can be-look at the
Washington game-but he won't do it consistently. That wasn't about having
one of those great shooting nights, like Pierce had the second half against
Jersey. It was about playing the game efficiently and the the right way. The
best way for the team. But he hasn't played like that since.

I'm not blind to the good things Toine does. But he's too concerned with
getting his shots and points. You'll never convince me 23 shots a game, 4
free throws, 10 3-pointers and 38 percent shooting is good for the team. His
rebounding is good for the team. His ball-handling is good for the team. His
leadership is good for the team. But the rest of it-and it's all under his
control-is hurting the team. Is he the only player like this? No, but the
list of guys shooting under 40 percent and still shooting this much is
awfully short-Iverson and Antoine. Iverson has been hurt and is in a unique
situation. Antoine has no excuse. Of the top 50 in the league in terms of
field goal attempts per game, only Iverson, Antoine and Jason Williams are
below 40 percent. Only Iverson, Jordan, Mercer and Williams have a lower
points per shot than Antoine. By any measure, it's pathetic.

I know Toine isn't going anywhere. Obie loves him, and that's fine. But if
he stays, something needs to change. It is going to hurt the team. It's not
a matter of "if"-only "when."

Mark