Re: Kenny vs Milt

on 8/22/01 11:55 PM, I am. . . Anonymous at ktoreed@yahoo.com wrote:

What is your obsession with Jacque Vaughn?  The guy's
done nothing his entire career.  He hasn't even shown
much promise.  You ever see him play with the Jazz?

He dribbles with his head down, melts under defensive
pressure, is a below-average shooter, has trouble
finishing, and doesn't show great court vision. There
is no better situation for a young point guard than to
be under Stockton in the Jazz system, and the guy has
shown nothing, which is why the Jazz neglected to show
interest in his returning to the team.

He's "Milt Palacio lite", except more expensive.

Here's his stats last season:
20 Minutes per game, 4 assists, 1.6 Turnovers, 1
rebound, 6 points a game on 43% shooting.

    ************
   There are several reasons, that I like Vaughn.
   1. He was very successful at Kansas, with Pierce. I think it would help
the team move away from Walker as the dominant shooter, if the point guard
knew Pierce's game a bit. They play together in the summer also.
   I don't like the idea of Palacio getting over mid-court and immediately
giving the ball to Walker to decide the next move.
   2. Playing in Utah, while Vaughn may have learned from watching Stockton,
Sloan is very impatient and may have taken much of the spontaneity and
confidence from Jaques game. At Kansas he liked to run and create. This was
not allowed in Utah. It's a tough place for rookies to develop.
   I have seen him play and while I agree, he did not live up to
expectations, I don't agree with your asessment that he doesn't have skills.
   3. He comes cheap. For 380,000, why not take a look?  Is that more money
than Milt got? I don't think so.
   4. Sometimes a player at this position develops late. Point guard is a
bit like the NFL quarterback. There have been several very good point guards
who took 4 or 5 years, in the league, to develop the confidence and
experience to run a team. Kevin Johnson, who was dealt by Cleveland in the
early 80's comes to mind.
  5. It's rare that a quick, push it up the floor, point guard, is a strong
defender.
-JB-

Unchain My Heart!