PG

At 08:04 22/08/01 -0400, Berry, Mark  S wrote:
>Anyway, I'm expecting a lot of Antoine at PG, at least early in the season.
>Its effectiveness will determine how much it continues.

Well also a lot has happened since the end-of-season PG experiment. I
wouldn't be too surprised, for instance, if the "Antoine at PG" experiment
morphs quickly into a "Joe Johnson at PG" experiment early on.

BTW, it could just be a boxscore glitch, but I noticed that Kedrick Brown
started every Shaw League game as the shooting guard, with Joe Johnson
listed at forward slotted alongside Moiso. Well I suppose the two rookies
are pretty interchangeable anyway.

It could be Kedrick needed more practice and playing time at guard than the
more polished Joe Johnson, so the coaching staff made that decision. This
can help explain why Kedrick may have struggled a bit at times, notably
with his FG% which was lower than ideal but unfortunately very typical for
a 20-year-old rookie.

Of all the great leapers in this draft (Jason Richardson, Richard Jefferson
and Jeff Trepagnier), it seems that Kedrick Brown could have the most
reliable natural shooting stroke from distance. On paper he is better than
Richardson or Jefferson, which helps justify his high draft position.

Nevertheless, Kedrick was a disappointment at Shaw in that regard, although
he shot a semi-respectable .350 from 3-point land while leading the team in
attempts (20).

Here's one interesting thing about our Shaw League entry. As a team, the
Celts kids shot a deadeye .874 (104/119) from the FT line.

Miracle Milt was the most Ainge-like player in going an awesome 30/31 from
the line. In fact, he averaged 5 ppg just from freethrows.

But it would also seem we've added some disciplined and excellent young
shooters to the roster. Too bad none of them are even legal drinking age.
We have every reason to expect to see growing pains next year.

Chances are their rookie numbers will look nothing at all like their
eventual career averages. I hope we don't rush to judgement too quickly.

***