Re: Kenny vs Milt

on 8/21/01 8:23 PM, Celtic4Hire@AOL.com at Celtic4Hire@AOL.com wrote:

JB,
I think you forgot what Palacio's main function was last year. His job was
bring up the ball when there was heavy pressure, play defense and get the
ball to the other end as fast as possible during the break. He did all those
things very well. All of the offense started and ran through Walker except
for an occasional pick and pop with VP. These small point guards you are in
love with get killed on defense. Have you forgotten Dana and the Munchkins
so
soon. Kenny, although taller, still gets whipped regularly. Would I love to
have Payton or Kidd, absolutely. However, note that both guys are also very
physical and 6-5ish. Get one of these smallish "true point guards" and
during
the season, you would be crying a point who can play some D. What is the
point in having one of these "true" point guards when most of the offense
will run through Walker anyways? JJ adds additional flexibility. At this
point, I think the greater need is to have a point guard who plays solid
D....As for the Shaw league, I though Palacio seemed to be looking for his
offense too much, but that is what he needed to be working on. When the real
season starts, he will be flipping the ball over to Walker again once he
gets
past half court. Palacio is not a distributor, that is obvious. But that is
not our greatest need...

DJessen33
        ******************
   DJ;
       These "small" point guards, I am "in love with" is a bit of a
generalization, although I admit, there are some matchup problems when a
player is under 6'2" in todays league, but just because a player is short,
does not mean he can't play defense.
   When I wrote about "true" point guards, I did not mean players like Dana
Barros, who is a shooting guard, who was forced to play point, because he
was too short to guard the shooting guards. There are many of these in the
league. There are also players like Sam Cassell and Kenny Anderson who don't
like to play defense, but that is another story.
   I am talking about players like Jaques Vaughn, who is a very good
defender. It was apparent that Khalid El-Amine made the team better, when he
was on the floor at Shaws. In my opinion, even Tyus Edney, made us a better
team, when he played here. I'm not saying that if a player is a defensive
liability, in certain matchups, that he has to play 48 minutes, but a point
guard; who pushes the ball and finds the open man is an asset, that we don't
have, but for short money, should take a look at.
   You mention; "running the offense through Walker again. To me that is a
call of last resort. I'm not sure I could, or would, watch another season of
that. To me it's sickening to have our best rebounder and our only low post
threat, stretching and learing towards the ball from the three point line,
as soon as the point guard crosses half court. How to kill an offensive flow
in one easy lesson.
   Joe Johnson is potentialy a point guard. He played there as a youngster,
until he grew 8 inches in the 9th grade. Here is where my hope for the
future at point guard is. Antoine needs to be shown a bit of coaching, this
year. I hope O'Brien is up to it.

-JB-

Unchain My Heart!