Re: JJ

Regarding this whole (admittedly "slow news day") thread, I enjoy looking
out for odd names in sports such as "Cookie Belcher", the Nebraska alum who
averaged 4.3 assists for the Atlanta Hawks entry in this summer's Shaw
League. Others are former Providence guard "God Shamgod" (make up your
mind!), current UVA point guard "Majestic Mapp", or my current favorite:
Memphis' 6-8 forward "Paris London". I guess he must get really "down and
out" with a name like that (i.e. the George Orwell book).

I suppose one reason this list is so quiet right now is because this might
be the first August in memory where mercifully we aren't dealing with an
imminent "trade Antoine" rumor every day. I wish the local beat writers
would provide more updates on the players, but man Boston is such a wild
baseball town. Even Shira Springer wrote an article on the Red Sox this week.

Everytime I read about a new player complaining about respect and playing
time, I think "geez, since when did Kenny Anderson switch teams?"  Kenny is
such a typical Red Sox veteran player in so many ways. Michael Silverman
had a funny quip in the Herald today, describing last night's Red Sox
lineup without Nomar and Manny as looking more like "misdemeanors' row"
than "murderers' row".

But yeah, I hope we win the division and eliminate the Yankees from the
post season. The next month alone could make up for (at least) the past
five years of sporting misery for me.

Go Celts and Sox!

Joe

------