Re: trade thoughts

>(C'mon, Moiso for another player and a pick?  Highway robbery!
>Unless Larry Brown can perform a miracle -- maybe, maybe -- this
>looks like one to put in our column.)  I hate to bring up Il Duce
>again, but this seems quite opposite in many ways to the previous
>regime.  All the better.

One of the nicest, most calming aspects of this trade (and maybe i'm
speaking too soon) is the absence of the Pitino uber-hype that went
along with every single move he made.

I'm glad to not have to read tomorrow, Pitino saying:

"Roshown Mcleod is a proven winner.  Everywhere he's played he's won
-- St. Johns, Duke.  Well everywhere except Atlanta and Philly...and
high school.  But his AAU team was terrific.  He's going to remind
everyone that Bird, McHale and Parrish aren't walking through that
door.  But Roshown Mcleod is walking through that door.  Ahem....I
said Roshown Mcleod IS walking through that door."

[At this point Wallace covers the mic and spits "Mcleod is supposed
to come through the door when i said that" at Chris Wallace, who has
that "god-not-this-crap-again" look on his face.  "oh forget it",
Pitino mutters and continues...]

"With the quality talent, athleticisticabiltyness and length we
aquired in the draft -- which i tried to trade along with our next 10
draft choices for Jamaal Mashburn and some white guy -- we think our
pressing unit will decide that success is a choice.

"We're ecstatic about getting Mcleod.   I recruited him when i was at
Providence University, umm, i Mean Kentucky, and we've been trying to
land him for 3 years now.  He's a weightroom away from being Cedric
Maxwell, a jumpshot away from being Scott Wedman and smackdown with
the ugly stick away from being Greg Kite."

I mean every player Pitino ever acquired was some key to the
championship puzzle and he had to announce it.  I have to imagine
that built up unrealistic expectations in everyone's head -- player,
coach and fans.  Just make the moves and let the play on the floor
speak for itself.

thats enough ranting,
mark

[disclaimer:  I was very excited when Pitino came on as coach -- i
REALLY believed he could turn things around -- but i look back at the
last three years as basically a failure.  I am as low on him now as I
was high on him in 96 (and that was pretty high).  2 things that
sting the most are (1) Pitino's idiot personnel moves -- don't
confuse activity for quality. and (2) watching his substitution
patterns drove me NUTS.  Someone would get hot and Pitino would yank
him.  Someone getting beat on the boards?  leave him in.  Ugh]