Re: trade thoughts

> From: Mark Piotrowski <markp@edu15.coe.ufl.edu>
>
> >I hate to bring up Il Duce
> >again, but this seems quite opposite in many ways to the previous
> >regime.  All the better.
>
> One of the nicest, most calming aspects of this trade (and maybe i'm
> speaking too soon) is the absence of the Pitino uber-hype that went
> along with every single move he made.

Yeah, well, I knew I shouldn't have brought up the Ricktator, but I wanted
to mention how he appeared to be different from Wallace & Co. in some
substantial ways, like seeming to stick to a plan of athleticism by
getting players who are, making some trades in our favor (Moiso bye-bye)
and attempting to provide at least some possible cap flexibility by not
signing marginal talent like Wallah to long-term contracts or taking on
long-term cap albatrosses (Kenny, EWilliams).  It's true the current junta
is much lower-key, but people acted like Poultrino was the only guy to
ever put a spin on something, use hype to sell product (gasp!), or even
that he is the most egregious example of these things.  He's a "snake-oil
salesmen" who sold a bill of goods to the fans, instead of a guy who
actually tried to turn the team around.  It's all a bit silly to me.

> I'm glad to not have to read tomorrow, Pitino saying:
>
> "Roshown Mcleod is a proven winner.  Everywhere he's played he's won
> -- St. Johns, Duke.  Well everywhere except Atlanta and Philly...and
> high school.  But his AAU team was terrific.

Didn't you take this from a quote by Shaq, when he said (pre-Fakers
"dynasty" (hah!)) that he had won at every level except "college and the
pros"?  Wasn't even a "Pitinoism" was it?

>  He's going to remind
> everyone that Bird, McHale and Parrish aren't walking through that
> door.

You know, people often bring this incident up as Il Duce "attacking the
fans".  LOL!  Nothing he said was untrue, and to pretend that there wasn't
a sizeable media constituency that were out to get him, or that there wasn'
t a "fellowship of the miserable" out in radio-talk-show-land is naive.

> I mean every player Pitino ever acquired was some key to the
> championship puzzle and he had to announce it.  I have to imagine
> that built up unrealistic expectations in everyone's head -- player,
> coach and fans.

Much worse that that apex of coaching ML Carr, who set the bar so low that
no one could look up at it.  (All right, you didn't even mention ML.  And
Pitino did talk up his players/moves.  So does Obie and Wallace (re: our
centers).  It's not necessarily negative; it might even give a player
enough confidence to improve.  Aw, it's true, though, Pitino did fail.)

I guess this is the point where someone says "I told you so".

(The Celtic "Tird",
  Celticus "tirdius")

P.S. The substitution patterns and unwise personnel moves irritated me,
too, Mark, especially the former.  A guy would get hot and you could start
seeing the countdown timer hover over his head -- precious seconds before
Coack P gave him the hook.  And I have to confess I have to agree on your
major point: I'm glad Rick Pitino is gone, too.