Philly trades

Trading Tyrone Hill was a bit surprising to me. On looking at the
contracts, I think it's at least partially tax related. The guys Philly
sent out have contracts expiring in 03, while the guys they're taking back
have contracts expiring in 02, when the tax kicks in (I think). They might
do this move in order to retain McCulloch while staying below the tax.

It also seems like Larry Brown's gambling in his own ability to
rehabilitate disappointments such as Traylor and Moiso.

As for our side of the trade: It definitely seems like a move made for
positioning ourselves for the future. McLeod's best feature may be his
expiring contract. Maybe it gives us just enough breathing room under the
luxury tax next season to pursue a free agent with a long-term exception
this season. In any case, you get a little bit of flexibility, and waiving
McLeod to open a roster spot if he's unimpressive is a possibility too,
with only one year left on his deal. (Waiving McCarty is not as good
because he can play some backup PF, which we need, esp. if one of the
centers goes down with injury).

This seems like the first statement by Wallace to the effect that "this is
new management", by quickly dumping an "old management" draft pick. And the
conditional first round pick has some value, even if it's probably
guaranteed to be right at the end of the first round.

Alex