Re: Sporting news article on Pierce

on 8/3/01 7:04 AM, j.hironaka at j.hironaka@unesco.org wrote:

There are powerful arguments for making Paul Pierce the go to guy in
Boston, if he isn't already. But (obviously) I can't imagine how
"likeability" would ever be used as one of these arguments, even if it may
be in the back of our minds as fans.

I do feel that many observers assume Walker is disliked by teammates and
foes alike, when the available evidence goes overwhelmingly against this
notion.
           **************
   Joe; you make a very good point here, but there might be an exception.
   I'm not sure the author ever considered it, but the "likeability" factor
in a teams "go-to" player, might translate into more trips to the foul line.
   I don't care if his opponents hate him, or even the fans, but the Zebras
have hurt his game, more than those booing fans, or the opponents who resent
his bravado.
   If he got half of the calls, going to the basket, that Iverson, Shaq,
Allen, Stackhouse or even Pierce, he might be a devastating inside threat
and a real factor at the ends of quarters and games.
   What I'm thinking, is he might not have found the need to abandon that
part of his game, which was his bread and butter for his first 2 1/2 years
in the league. In fact, rather than work on his outside shooting, he might
have put that time and energy into developing more of those up and under and
spin hooks that he used to throw down, until the double teams with  the
swarming, hacking defenders, took it away from him
-JB-

Unchain My Heart!