Re: Sporting news article on Pierce

At 21:11 02/08/01 -0700, you wrote:
>http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/sean_deveney/20010802.html
>Pierce is one of the few players in the NBA -- in all of sports, for that
>Matter -- who can legitimately claim he does not get enough respect. He is
>not the player Carter is, but he is not far behind. (.........) His
>presence gives the Celtics a clutch player and star to build around, a
>role that never quite suited Boston's other star, Antoine Walker. As
>talented as Walker has been during the early part of his career, he has
>not been very likable, on the floor or off. He has matured, but still,
>he's better off playing a secondary role behind the more affable Pierce.

As silly as it might seem for a nationally syndicated expert to use this
type of reasoning ("Walker has matured but because Pierce is more affable,
he deserves the leading role") it really has a curious resonance even in
Boston. I imagine a lot of people--including Sean Deveney's editor
obviously--read straight through this line of reasoning without noting
anything particularly odd about how the argument is phrased.

There are powerful arguments for making Paul Pierce the go to guy in
Boston, if he isn't already. But (obviously) I can't imagine how
"likeability" would ever be used as one of these arguments, even if it may
be in the back of our minds as fans.

I do feel that many observers assume Walker is disliked by teammates and
foes alike, when the available evidence goes overwhelmingly against this
notion.

And when comparing Walker's national reputation to his contributions both
on and off the court, as wacky as it may sounds it is he who by the
strictest definition ranks as the most "underrated" player in the NBA.
Walker led all NBA forwards in assists, steals and triple doubles last year
at the age of 24, which is uncommon for a player who has also led his team
in rebounds every year since entering the league. And wasn't it TSN that
just named Walker as one of the most giving athletes in sports for his
"Real Deal" and "8 Foundation"?

Someday a national sportswriter will go against the grain and try to
redress the out-of-date and unsettling character assassinations made
against Walker. No doubt the Boston Celtics will have to begin winning
first, before any beautification begins. Fair enough.

****