Re: ESPN on Jordan's comeback, Walker briefly mentioned

At 00:28 03/08/01 -0400, you wrote:
>http://espn.go.com/magazine/telander_20010802.html
>
>The author, Rick Telander, apparantly watched some of the secret summer
>workout games hosted by Jordan.  I really, really hope that he's
>exagerrating things a bit, particularly the part about Walker losing
>over and over again.

Hir Francis:

Trying to find some additional consolation, Telander based his article on
having watched one day of scrimmages, plus he's a bit of a groupie. Also,
treys counted for only one point, so if Walker was having one of those 2-10
games from downtown....

Maybe someone can goof Antoine into believing this is a league-wide rule
change in the NBA, so he'll tone it down just a notch. ;-)

Let's face it, the three point set shot is a big part of what Walker feels
he needs to elevate into the consistent 20+ points per game. He's quite
able to get that shot off clean like Magic used to.

Still, he'd be a hell of a Celtics player if he grew comfortable with 18
points per game and focused even greater attention on his more remarkable
gifts (passing, rebounding). I doubt there is any greater high than going
for an NBA triple-double, and it is the type of thing that is respected
throughout the game because many household name All Stars never achieve one
in their entire careers.

----

Regarding the debate about the top eight Eastern teams, IMO the more talent
that flows into our conference the better everyone's chances will be.
Things turned a bit upside down in the past decade, with the East becoming
daintier and softer. So I welcome seeing Mourning, Mutombo, Olajuwon and
Ewing in our conference.

Collectively they pose a better test of Boston's true strengths and
weaknesses viz a viz the West, as opposed to matchup concerns posed by 240
pounders like Camby, Ratliff and Jermaine O'Neil. Big picture-wise, who
frankly cares if Bat Girl is our best option against these gumby dolls, if
the starting centers out West tend to carry 40+ pounds more bulk? It's a
bit akin to how the NFC used to maul the crap out of the AFC in the Super Bowl.

If Boston isn't one of the top eight teams in the East next year, this
wouldn't shock me. They are deeper and more talented but they seem to
remain fatally flawed in rebounding and shotblocking.

At the least I feel the Celts will be in the running a lot deeper into the
Spring than before, and probably won't stray as far below .500 ball as they
did in the past. In recent seasons, we'd make our runs at the playoffs
coming from 10 to 12 games under .500 by late-winter. That's tough to do no
matter how many 40 point games you get from Pierce or Walker.

Based on an interpretation of our won-lost patterns, the Celtics have been
relatively fast out of the gate due to overall superior conditioning and
summer participation (and the Pierce, Griffin rookie-of-the-month effect),
totally implode as veteran teams also got in shape and in synch and started
making a total mockery of the headless chicken outbreak system, then
finally make an entertaining late run for the 8th spot when it was already
too late.

I hope Harter and Obie will mesh well to bring out the strengths of both
their defensive philosophies, without burning out the players too quickly.
I personally like the headless chicken press after made baskets, especially
now that we may have 7 or 8 player depth in quality basketball players and
under Obie we no longer go 11 players deep for parts of games. A press can
just blow up any systematic effort to play zone defense.

What I didn't like are the constant half court traps that willfully ignore
matchups and take away individual accountability. I think Harter can get
Boston to play better individual, half-court defense.

p.s. On a half-serious note, Way predicted back in early July that we
should all watch out for Kedrick Brown's left knee. What was that all
about? Pretty irritating frankly if it was meant as a joke.  Pretty scary
if it's true. I looked back at some of his posts and found the usual Way
stuff. I wonder if he's done yet "yawning" about Joe Johnson, for instance,
whom he also compared to former NBA journeyman Jerry Ice Reynolds for
reasons that aren't very clear.

---