medical input

     I'm not a surgeon, I'm an internist so this is by no means my area of
expertise but I'll put in my 2 cents worth anyway.
     It depends on whether the wound was "7 inches deep" or a wound which
was 7" long at the surface and which was also "deep."  I tend to think it
really wasn't 7" deep at the sternum because it would likely have hit either
the heart or one of the major vessels going to/from the heart and he would
not have survived most likely.  It could have also hit the lung if it was
truly that deep but this would have likely necessitated major surgery or one
or more chest tubes, and in either case, he would not be leaving the
hospital in 3-4 days as he appears to be doing today.  Therefore, I think
the gash was likely not as deep as or not in the spot that we were told.
Regardless, I agree with the sentiment that he was extremely lucky.  Once
again, I'm not an expert in this area.  Any trauma surgeons out there?

Goggin in Cincinnati.