Re: Hear the Pin Drop

Dan Forant wrote:

> These guys read the papers also and know by now there isn't much expected
> from them. There is no fire. While I'm no Pitino fan, I have witnessed him
> berating the troops to perform better. The chemistry just isn't here yet
> because we're really 2-4 players away just to equal the bottom playoff
> feeders. With no front court to speak of it's bombs away, which is doomed
> to failure. This team like stock will only break out of it's base when they
> get more backing.

    Hi Dan:
    One surprising thing about recent boxscores is the Celts lack of depth on
paper to compete, which most of us thought would be improved somewhat with the
addition of Moiso and the non-stop praised Blount into the rotation (plus the
minor signings of Carr and Brown and the completion of the much-delayed Fortson
trade).

    As of this moment, the Celtics only have three centers/power forwards on the
roster that they rotate into games (Walker, Battie, Potapenko). Basically Boston
doesn't even have a power forward backup, other than Potapenko who is also the
center backup.

    It's nearly as thin at small forward, with Waltah or Eric "didn't exercise or
pick up a ball all summer" Williams as the backups for Paul Pierce. Think about
it. Waltah may be our most qualified reserve forward right now with Griffin
suffering what I hope won't be season-long back spasms and Moiso nursing a phantom
injury.

    If the frontcourt looks thin, then look at point guard where you have two
30-somethings with an injury history forcing Brunson to be thrown straight into
major minutes straight out of street clothes, while at shooting guard, the entire
rotation consists of castaways Stith and Carr. That's all that's there. There's no
there there.

    With the exception of Stith (who could be a decent Celtics sixth man I guess
if healthy and more consistent) and Battie or Potapenko the rest of the bench
rotation you'll see tonight consists of guys with CBA and NBA 12th man resumes.