Re: What's OK & what's not on this list

At 09:20 AM 11/15/00 -0800, Paul M. Moriarty wrote:
>Here's a modified copy of a message sent to the list back in March of this
>year.  It's sad to see how little has changed other than the evictions of
>Mr. Odregard, "Mr. Hudson", and Mr. Bird.

IMO a carefully selected list of banishments.

>There's been a lot of discussion over what is or is not OK on this list.
>There also seems to be some confusion as to whether or not this is a public
>forum.  Let me try to clarify.

Well like it or not it IS a public forum as anyone can join by a simple
E-Mail.Yes you can selectively s*itcan whomever you wish, but as I said it
still is a public forum whether you like that term or not.

>First, to be heavy-handed about it, this list is owned by me.  I own the
>server, I pay for the bandwidth, I deal with all of the bs when things
>break, etc...  For this, I receive the whopping sum of $0.00.  Note, this is
>not a request for financial assistance.

Good. First to be brutally frank, no one asked you to take on this task. It
is appreciated but not enough  to elect you to martyrdom for this task you
have entered into without coercion.

>I liken this list to inviting you to a party in my home.  You are my guest,
>there is no birthright which gains you admission.  As long as you behave
>like a good guest, I don't care much what you do as long as you're having a
>good time.  However, just because I am out of the room or have made a run to
>the store for more ice and snacks, you do not have the right to vomit on my
>carpet, insult my family, or otherwise trash the place.

Then be fair and toss all the vomiters and litterbugs or none at all.

>My home is not a democracy, it's my home.  When I find you vomiting on my
>carpet, I don't have to take a vote to see if everyone agrees that you
>leave or subject myself to discussions of why you got sick.  When I notice
>that you've stopped behaving like a good guest, you leave.  That's it.

Again you selectively throw the pukers you want out. Oh that's right this
isn't a democracy it's your house. Sorry for the dripping sarcasm but I
don't usually get angry in public and long time listers can back this up
but Paul IMO you are dropping the ball here.

>All of the squabbling and petty bs that has populated the list of late has
>driven some of our quality posters away.  Long time list members have noted
>and miss the departure of Bill Cooper who provided us with excellent game
>summaries for each and every game.  Other prominent and thoughtful
>contributors have left as well.  In it's heyday, this list boasted close to
>1000 subscribers.  In the past year, that number has fallen below 400.

I have heard this reference on several occasions that Bill Cooper dropped
off of the list BECAUSE of the bickering et al. I am asking directly if you
heard this from Bill? There can be a host of reasons why people drop off of
lists and well the Celtics being one of the worst teams in the league might
be the single biggest factor in lost listers.

>Quite frankly, continuing to run this list is becoming more trouble than
>it's worth.  Heck, the teeny boppers on The Who mailing list and the younger
>folk who populate the VW Jetta list (two other lists maintained here at
>igtc.com) are much better behaved than some of the "adults" here.

Well as I said you  have done a really fine job overall in being the list
mama but if it is too much then get out. The above lists are apples and
oranges but I hope you know that.  I don't see a lot of heat being
generated over the 98 Jetta being superior to the 2000 model! As you said
it is your list. I often thought of it as our list but I will no longer
have illusions of that. Again sorry for the vitriol but these are my
thoughts and feelings and evidently YMMV. Later.Mike