Re: same wavelength...

Hey Bill,

Don't get too concerned about the antics of Jaime, or Dan, to a lesser
degree.  I just consider the source.  Everyone knows who the fans are and
who they aren't.  Thanks for the kind words though.

Anyway, I had the honor of being at Friday night's game since I was in
Boston for the weekend.  Some observations:

Though he may not be sterling as an offensive weapon, Randy Brown, going
down with an injured groin, really hurt.  Not so much offensively, but
defensively is where he was missed most with Kenny and Herren absent as it
was.

As JoJo White told me in the past, "you win in the NBA by who plays together
defensively".  And losing a strong defender like Brown REALLY hurts their
schemes.

PP and AW are gonna burn some teams this year at both ends of the court but
we need to learn to move the ball better in the later stages of the game
instead of settling for the first shot which may present itself.  Seems that
we forget that the opposition is as tired as we are at that stage, so making
them move around a bit will pay off.

One thing which has gone unspoken, I think, is that Vitaly has re-emerged to
play like the force Pitino imagined.  He was almost unstoppable when he
wanted to take it to the hoop and was a rock defensively.  Hopefully it can
continue on a regular basis.  In all honesty though, he wasn't up against
the league's elite in either game.

The Philly game, as has been previously posted was a sham.  Pierce was
grabbed unquestionably by Eric Snow but Mathis et company, swallowed their
whistles.  I wonder what Stern thinks when he sees stuff like this?  It does
not matter who benefits or who loses as a result, for I believe it happens
in every NBA arena throughout the country, therefore it probably evens up.
But when it is just plain BLATANT as it was last night, well, it makes
everyone look bad.  The way things were going, Paul would only have made one
of two anyway had the proper call been made.

I mentioned earlier in the year that we needed to shoot our free throws
better than last year if we want to compete with the big boys.  We are not
yet doing that and it is our marquee players who are the most guilty
culprits.  It is a lack of concentration.  I notice that they appear to be
using some kind of rhythm more than slowing themselves down and
concentrating on their shooting mechanics.

Once again though, losing Brown is BIG.  Think he would have been more
effective than others on Eric Snow?  Think McCarty would have been bringing
up the ball?

But even with all this, I am not depressed, for I think they are playing
with lots of desire and good intentions.  Antoine made a nice pass out of
the doubleteam last night for an easy layup.  We had some nice pressure D
and created some turnovers all weekend.  VP showed up.  The next few games
are winnable but we need to show some gradual improvement as a whole,
starting at the line.  IIRC, had we shot better, from the stripe, we would
have won every game except the Toronto blowout.

The foolishness of the refs could serve as ammunition for them to become a
bit more cohesive.  I've seen it happen in the past with other teams.  Let
us pray :-)

Cecil