Re: Knicks > Celts (Pointwise and Fanwise)

At 11:26 PM 11/11/00 -0800, Ryan Lee wrote:
>I went to see the Celts at the Fleet this past Friday
>and the thing that shocked me most  was that there seemed to be a larger
>Knicks fanbaseat the game than Celtics fanbase.  I kid you not.
>Everytime the Knicks scored, you could hear what
>seemed like the 3/4 of the arena cheering for New
>York.  I was absolutely dumbstruck.  This is supposed
>to be the Celts home court and they couldn't muster
>enough fans to drown out those New York bastards in
>the stands.

While I agree with your sentiment regarding the opponents fans out shouting
and/or outnumbering the home folks , I also love it when we do it at THEIR
house! Though to be perfectly honest these occurrences happen these days
more for my beloved BoSox than any other Boston franchises but many times
over the years I was pelted with items and shrieked at by locals not
enamored with my choice of cheering for the hated Green! I have lived in
Arizona since 19Mets/Red Sox86 and am forced by these circumstances to go
on many road trips and attending the games here in the valley when my teams
visit the locals.One incident really sticks out in my and my sons mind
for pettiness reasons alone. My at the time grade school age son and I
watched the Celtics dismantle the Suns and then went out by the players
entrance to hopefully get some autographs for my son. We were indeed lucky
(didn't hurt that we were in full Celtic outfits!!) and got Kevins John
Hancock amongst a few lesser lights. Anyway Cotton Fitzsimmons strolls out
and we asked if he would sign his picture in the program. He very rudely
and crudely stated not as long as you have on those F***King Celtics
jackets! If you love Boston so much do us a favor and go back there!! John
Macleod had been railing in the press about the only thing more disturbing
than being out cheered in your own building is looking up in the stands and
seeing a virtual sea of green!! This and the scandals starting added to his
mood. I asked him how does it feel when the Suns are on the road and you
hear fans cheering and they are dressed in the Suns colors? He retorted
that my examples aren't comparable as the Suns fans he sees are few in
numbers while the Celtics fans are like roaches when the light gets turned
on!! So I told him win 15-16 championships or at least win consistently and
make the playoffs year after year and you will get that kind of loyalty and
fanaticism. He still blew my son off!! I go every year to Red Sox ST in
Florida and see 20 or so games in Cal and Texas during the year and
especially in Anaheim it is like a home game! The people write into the
papers and callin shows and rail against us boorish Sox fans. The players
have been known to voice their displeasure as well. I just smile and wear
my (insert Team name here)gear and enjoy the games!1 Just my thoughts and
YMMV. Later.Mike