Re: Mutombo anyone?

Just wanted to say great post, Joe - you convinced me. I'm with you and
Norine, let's see what this team can do with a real NBA coach.

I think you're right on in describing our perceived weakness at the center
position as overblown. People forget when they look at Vitaly stats that he
accomplished that averaging less than a half a game! I also believe his late
season decline can be directly traced to the same factor that was
instrumental in retarding Fortson's progress - lack of meaningful playing
time. Of the three 'centers' on our team I think Battie is the only one who
did not respond to increased playing time and he continued to get more time
than his contributions would seem to dictate. I guess it goes back to that
interview with the asst coach who said some players get PT on the basis of
their contract status. Either that or the "headless chicken" physique.

I also loved how you placed the responsibility for our poor D right where it
belongs, with the coach who doesn't know how to play to his own players'
strengths. It was very refreshing to see Scott Skiles take responsibility as
coach for his team's loss the other night:

>>Skiles blames self: "I felt like we deserved to win. I feel really bad for
the guys. I also felt bad, most of the night actually, about the last play.
We could have gotten something better than that. That's my responsibility,
so I felt I had a big hand in the outcome."<< http://nbatalk.com/nba/xxl/

That is how to deflect pressure, not by bemoaning 'youth' or the fans. And
this is also how you correct mistakes and improve - by casting a
self-critical eye on your own performance every once in a while rather than
trying to deflect blame. Three years, three different teams in terms of
personnel and yet the record is worse - how long are we going to continue to
pin the blame on the players, the fans, ML, youth, the Duncan lottery. . .
Didn't someone mention that they knew how to find the way to the BU bridge?

OK, I'm done venting - peace, everyone and salutations to all the
mothers! -TomM