Re: Mutombo anyone?

FWIW, I do think Mutombo would be worth trading a draft pick and some top role
players for, but not necessarily either of our two top scorers (Pierce and
Toine). If we trade too much scoring ability to get Mutombo, my fear is that our
record won't be any better than Atlanta's over the past few seasons.

IMO, Mutombo would be the sort of player that could help Pitino get the team FG%
closer to 43% than 47%, which could make a major difference in the won-loss
column over the next year to two years (before he presumably retires or breaks
down).
The Celtics seem to have a lot more scoring punch and turnover/havoc creating
skills than Atlanta has had.

Having said this, I'm not a big fan of young teams making short-term veteran
acquisitions unless it said trade is enough to make your team a Finals
contender. The Potapenko-Battie rebounding/shotblocking rotation is far from
ideal, but our problems at center IMO simply are overrated compared to other
issues. I do think Potapenko can eventually play 80%+ of the league's centers to
a standstill at least as well as the centers on the last two championship
mini-dynasties (Chicago and Detroit). To me the most glaring needs are:

1) lack of height (6-5) and a consistent scoring deficit at the small forward
slot.
2) a starting backcourt that does not inspire a "pass first" team mentality.
3) perimeter defense.

Tom and others have noted the problem with perimeter defense and, on this
subject, I agree from watching tapes that Antoine and Pierce don't really fight
through picks or even try to (why, I don't know).

And yet for me, at least, the problem of Boston's perimeter "matador" defense is
not really a lack of athleticism, effort or veteran saavy.

The analogy I would make is how even slow, immobile american football
quarterbacks can casually step forward in the pocket to avoid a pass rusher
trying to take his head off. It is not so different in basketball when a
defender arrives late. On television it may look like the defender is right on
time (because your eyes are following the movement of the ball rather than the
defender). But in fact the defender is often carrying too much momentum going
forward to be able to stop a dribble drive attempt to the hoop even from a slow,
weak player. Ron Mercer was actually a master at taking advantage of an extra
halfstep to drive all the way to the rim (but he was and remains hopeless as a
straight one-on-one player, unlike Pierce).

Pitino argues that his players done "challenge" enough shots and it is true
enough. But I would argue that if they lunged out to challenge more shots,
they'd risk get even more burned off the dribble penetration. Every player at
every level of basketball is aware of the risk of challenging shots when you've
arrived late and don't have your feet set. A smart offensive player will drive
right around you like your a lead-footed retard. It is infinitely more
preferable to have them shoot a mildly uncontested three pointer in your face,
something every scrub in the NBA seemed to do last year against Boston.

So when we start parcelling out blame for the Celtics atrocious defense last
year (28th in the league), you can fall back on the easy answers (we desperately
need a shotblocker, boo hoo) but to me it all (or mostly) comes down to the
Pitino defensive "system" at the NBA level.

If some of you still have game tapes from last season and you follow the
movements, headless chicken style, of your choice of hapless Celts defender, you
will notice two things IMO. One is a surprising level of good faith intensity
and hustle compared to your expectations (although you also see discouragement
in the players from time to time). The second is that it is not uncommon at all
to see Antoine or Pierce guarding three different opponents AFTER the ball has
crossed midcourt. I've seen some atrocious pointguard on center defensive
mismatches, thanks presumably to the Pitino system.  ou can't always blame
Pierce ane Walker for playing bad defense. You should also blame them for being
dumb/innocent enough to play a bad (or failed) defensive system in good faith.

To describe it another way, how many times per game or season have you honestly
seen an NBA opponent catch the ball, casually face up Antoine or Pierce until
they have their feet fully set defensively, and THEN try to go one-on-one and
break them down off the dribble? Other than the Tim Hardaway debacle two years
ago, this simply rarely happens.

By contrast, Antoine is one of the few NBA players who actually does this (or
tries to) regularly. When Walker starts his between the legs dribble weave thing
way out in three-point land, he's telling the defender "get ready, here I come".
And yet he almost always dusts the defender these days (only to get crunched by
help defense once he arrives at the basket).

As noted, Antoine's assists, rebounds and steals stats not only were team highs
over the final two months but they were as good as any all-around forward in the
NBA. The kid averaged over 6 assists per game over the entire month of March,
and over 5 per game in April. The thing is that Antoine doesn't just pitch the
ball out of the paint. He is a MUCH stronger dribbler than all-around rivals
like Kevin Garnett, Chris Webber and the like. Walker is a stunning dribbler in
terms of the power, cadence and control.

I just wish he wasn't such a crappy finisher....so far he's nowhere near on par
with other 20ppg scorers in the NBA.

That's why so many people still look at his 20ppg and think "big deal, he might
not even deserve consideration as one of the top 75 players in the NBA." Well if
Toine gets his midrange game and decision-making better, and shows he can shoot
over 82 games like he did over the last two months of this past season (.495FG%
on two-pointers) I still believe he will leapfrog over 70 of those players ahead
of him into an elite MVP caliber role. Potential five tool players don't grow on
trees. Even the Vince Carters and Karl Malones of the world don't have anywhere
near the range of skills Walker seemingly has had since birth but so far can't
seem to polish.

********