Re: Celts Spoilers, No Way

At 23:41 3/27/00 +0200, you wrote:
>"Michael J.King Sr." wrote:
>> I beg to differ on the *anyone* statement you made above. One would think
>> that Walluh and Battie could and should add muscle to their thin frames.
>> BUT genetics is the big factor here. Most athletes that I know have good
>> genetics and fill out easily with training and diet but some people  just
>> gain weight and others can't gain an ounce. I would think different
>> metabolisms also come into play. Anyway that said, with the advantages of
>> the Celtics training facility, trainers and nutritionists one would think
>> some plan could be implemented to bulk them up. Oh well just my thoughts
>> and YMMV.Later.Mike
>
>I agree it is largely about body genetics. Even if Wallah and Battie ate 8000
>calories of protein a day and worked out non-stop, the most muscle weight
they
>could gain is probably considerably less than 10 pounds per year. You
can't take a
>guy with thin hips and long legs and turn him into an NFL offensive
lineman (or
>into Arnold Schwartenegger), no matter how much that person can already
bench press
>or how athletic they are.

I'm sorry but I disagree. The history of professional bodybuilding includes
people with "inferior" metabolism viz. gaining muscle mass, such as Larry
Scott and Frank Zane. These two had small, narrow frames and were notorious
 "slow gainers". While they could never achieve the muscle mass of a
Schwarzenegger or a Haney, they did OK in winning several Mr. Universe and
Mr. Olympia titles. As Joe Weider (the guy who trained all these champions)
says, superior genetic potential is "more of an enabling than a limiting
factor". So while Waltuh may never become the next Mr. Olympia (or even Mr.
Kentucky), there's nothing preventing him from developing a respectable (by
NBA standards) physique, except his aversion to weight training and a
proper diet. Even if there's some genetic disorder preventing one from
metabolizing protein, the chances that McCarty, a professional athlete, is
afflicted by it are practically nil. But of course, with regard to McCarty
specifically, his body is the lesser of his problems on the basketball
court anyway.