Re: Sanity

In message <38C177A8.BDB57611@tsixroads.com>, "Starke R. Farrell, LMSW" said:

> All sarcasm aside, I simply do not see the utility in Pitino bashing.  I
> realize that all coaches are subject to criticism when losing in the
> Boston area.  It has been that way as long as I can remember.  My
> question is what coach could do better with little financial support to
> work with (thanks a lot, ThanksDad)?
>
> Riley was given the okay to get 'Zo and Hardaway.  Heck, he even had the
> green light to give Juwan 100 mil.  Phil Jackson already had the
> all-star cast in place (again big spending for big names). Thus, these
> guys are winning big.  Too bad the C's don't get that kind of financial
> support from Gaston.

I really don't see how Gaston is the problem.  He spent the max for Walker,
took on Anderson's contract, resigned Battie for $25 million, etc.  The
Celtics are WAY over the cap, which is not the sign of a skinflint owner.
Pitino blames a budget forced him to trade Mercer, but the fact is he just
did not want Ron.  Neither did the Nuggets, apparently.

The problem is not how much the Celtics are spending, it is how much they are
spending on players who are not worth it.  The Celtics are not in the hunt
for a major free agent because of cap constraints...not because Gaston is not
willing to spend.  They are not in the hunt for a major trade because their
players are overpaid for their value.

--
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com