Re: Sanity

--- You wrote:
Geez, I feel like I'm going to singlehandedly break the record for the number of posts in a single day on this list.

>So I guess you must feel much better, now that you have vented >your frustration?

Sure, if it makes you feel better :)

> How is it that you feel your venting could possibly
>precipitate Pitino's firing by Gaston?

Mine in particular may or may not do anything (although I wouldn't put monitoring this list beyond them), but public and media pressure could easily do it. If everybody, save for a few hard-core supporters, seems to think that Pitino is a failure, AND his record indicates likewise, what's the owner to think?

>Seems strange that a man who would
>pay so much and afford so responsibility, would then dismiss based >uponfeelings of the fans who he didn't consult with upon the >hiring.

Why not? If the coach seems hugely unpopular with the fans, besides failing in other ways, it makes sense for the owner to cater to their wishes. After all, they're the ones ultimately paying the bills.

>You feel that Jackson or Riley could do better? I feel that Pitino >can do better.

He could hardly do worse.

>I feel that Red Auerbach could do better too but that ain't about
>to happen either. I am curious to know of what you base your >feelings of their coaching superiority on?

Oh, silly things like the number of NBA championships they won, their win-loss %, the universal respect they elicit from coaches and players alike, including the biggest superstars and headcases.

>What do you consider to be the qualifications one would possess >to deal with this situation?

Well, I think I'd like to see an NBA lifer - someone who was a good player and can get respect from the players, preferably with a good coaching record and necessarily a skill at calmly managing the often volatile personalities of today's players to get them playing at their best. While some of these characteristics are not always necessary (neither Auerbach nor Daly played in the NBA, nor did Doc Rivers have any coaching experience), having them, IMO, makes one more likely to be a success as the next Celtics coach.

The GM situation is another entirely different matter. I don't know if Chris Wallace is the right man for the job without the necessary authority (as Holley seems to think), but I do know that I'd feel much more secure if we had Whitsitt, West, Gabriel, Petrie, etc. as our GM. (To those who are going to bring up their occasional gaffes, like West's trade of Jones/Campbell for Rice, I say sure, but look at their entire record and their team's overall situation).