RE: The Lady speaks

Greg.  Sit down.  Shut up.  And LISTEN.

Got your attention?  Good.  I'm not fond of repeating myself to someone who hurls insults to someone who does no  more or less than speak their opinion.  We're going to address your nastiness point by point, so pay attention.

Thanks Dennis, but this is no Lady.

Oh?  I'd say by your comments, you're no gentleman.

  It is Way of the Ray, as is Snoopy et al.

No, it's not.  I am neither of these people, nor are they me.  I do not say they are not each other, since I neither know nor care.  I've heard this kind of unrepentant bullshit before and watched it destroy people's reputations.  Not this time.  You made a serious error in judgement, not to mention a grievous insult to the lady in question, as well as to Way of the Ray.

You WILL apologize, on this list. to me, to the Lady, to Way of the Ray, and to the list as a whole, ASAP, for your fatuous and careless accusations.  I demand it, and I have EVERY right to expect it.  Get your ass off that pedestal, it only makes your insufferable attitude a better target.

Do you support free speech when the person doesn't even have the guts to identify themselves or talks out of at least half a dozen side of their face?  Most papers over here don't take anonymous letters to the editor, because to speak your mind you must have the guts to identify yourself.  You do, I do and most do, and some don't for very valid security reasons, but when all these stupid monikers come from the same damn computer, then clearly we have a pure coward and bully.

Say that to my face.  Send me an e-mail, and I'll give you my phone number.  In Florida, where I've lived for over a decade.  Call me, one time only, and I'll be happy to explain, where you can hear me loud and clear, just what an imbecilic post you made.

Speak your mind all you want, just be a man enough to do with YOUR name, not some insulting tag line.  Sure I can appreciate your beef, but you clearly don't have all the facts.  Check your files, this person has an agenda that shames us all, and many agree with me.

As to tag lines, let me speak to my own--"poof".  This is not meant to infer the derogatory reference to homosexuals which is common in europe.  It is an indirect reference to a "special effect" sound in the comic book "Cerebus the Aardvark" by Dave Sim and Gerhard.  There is a character, who when departing, disappears with a sound effect rendered as "poit".  In online talks with fellow comics fans, I started using "poof" as a small joke, to end the e-mail or post in question.  I carried the signoff into other forums.

So far as my name is concerned, there is another matter there.  I originally started out on AOL, with my name included in my "profile".  This resulted in someone harassing me at 2am by telephone to make derogatory comments about a story I'd written some time before.  Since then, I do not , as a rule, use my name online.  By the way, said person discovered that it was a bad idea to use the phone to harass a writer who had a day job with the telephone company.  I chose to refer to myself as Snoopy because Peanuts has always been my all-time favorite comic strip, and Snoopy my favorite character.  I've been quite upset lately, due to the recent passing of Charles Schulz.  What I call myself is my own damn business.  I'm NOT writing a letter to the Editor, I'm posting on an open mailing list.  You want me to give you a name.  How about Lee Hayes, who as a member of the Weavers suffered through the worst of what McCarthyism had to offer the citizens by people with the same boneheaded attitude of making accusations without so much as a cogent fact to support them.

You bet your ass I'm angry.

In the time I've been on this list--interrupted by two bouts of severe illness, including a long bout with pneumonia--I've mostly read quietly, joined in the happy times, and lamented the sad state of the Celtics team today, and optimistically predicted another championship banner every year.  I've been a Celtics fan since my mom sat me in front of the TV and pointed out Cousy and Russell to me, and taught me my favorite game.  I've nearly always been proud of the team and it's fans.  Sometimes the team, like lately, hasn't played so well.  Sometimes the owners stank.  Sometimes the coaches weren't up to their job.

Sometimes, the fans yelled derogatory slurs at bill Russell as he won championships they never failed to brag about.  and sometimes, the fans wrote idiotic e-mail that should never have left the computer.

I know that if I sit and wait, I'd probably re-write this e-mail, and tone it down.  But I want you to know just how offensive I found your comments to be.  Not only to me, but to others as well.  If you have a problem with me, tell me--don't go making moronic declarations to or about someone else that have as much to do with reality as a children's cartoon, and try to use my name or screen name to justify your actions.

I'm going offline now.  I'll be back on, maybe tomorrow.  You think long and hard about what you said, and think a hell of a lot harder about how much damage you casually caused by using your mouth like a cannon.  You think back of all the times I've posted that I've never been so angry so as to make a post the mostly decent people on this list will be embarrassed to read.

Then, at such time as you have all YOUR facts, write the damn apology.

poof...
Snoopy the Celtics Beagle...and damn proud of it.