Pitino's motives

I expect Pitino to do the right thing for himself, not what's right for the
Celtics.  That may mean trading the pick for an Adonal Foyle, Othella
Harrington, or another veteran who might bump them into the first round
(and exit) and save face before he leaves Boston.  These days, if you look
at a draft 3-4 years after the fact, the best players are most likely going
to be the younger ones. The bigger the talent, the earlier they are coming
out.  To stay competitive, I think you've got to take the Crawfords, Miles,
DerMarr, etc., even though they are a few years away from being able to
help the team. Otherwise, you'll be playing catch-up, or having to sign
them as free agents for the big bucks later on down the road - if they even
want to play for the Cs.  The one position I would perhaps wait on is PG as
it requires a different maturity level to be effective.

If Bird arrives a year from now, could he bring Jalen Rose with him?

Personally, I hope we keep the pick, or at least have a pick tossed in
along with whatever trade is made.  That said, the proposed Golden State
trade has some merit: Donyell Marshall can be a monster player. Great
height and arm length for the three spot, good rebounder.  Has been
inconsistent, but playing w/Pierce and Walker he could afford to have an
off night. Vonteego Cummings is an interesting prospect at PG - good
all-rounds stats and decent height.  Foyle averages close to two blocks per
game, is a good rebounder, and is sturdier than Battie.

 --Ellie