Globe: Coles gets courtside courting

CELTICS NOTEBOOK
Free agent Coles gets courtside courting
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 7/20/2000
When coach Rick Pitino made a late entrance during the second half of the
Celtics' Shaw's Pro Summer League game yesterday, he brought an intriguing
guest with him: Bimbo Coles. The Atlanta Hawks free agent watched Boston
lose, 89-75, to Indiana last night sandwiched between Pitino and agent Sean
Holley. The sideline presence of Coles indicated the Celtics have narrowed
the focus of their free agent search.
During the day, Coles enjoyed a round of golf at the Charles River Country
Club. Last night, he joined members of the Boston organization for dinner.
Coles's initial impressions of the city and the team were positive.
''I definitely think there's a spot,'' said the 32-year-old Coles, who
averaged 8.1 points, 3.6 assists, 2.2 rebounds per game, and posted 58
steals last season with Atlanta. ''I'm not looking to come in and start.
You've got Kenny Anderson here. I'm just looking to get some backup minutes
at point and also maybe a few minutes at shooting guard.
''I think I fit right in with the guys. I know they definitely need some
defense and that's really my strong point, defense.''
But Miami and Milwaukee also are interested in his services. Coles has
visited Miami and plans to tour Milwaukee in the near future.
Workman excused
Point guard Haywoode Workman returned home to Indianapolis yesterday to
nurse an injured hamstring and see his newborn son, Bryce. The Celtics
expect Workman to return Friday. After posting 2 points, 2 steals, and 1
assist against Atlanta, Workman sat out against Philadelphia.